How do I.....?

Tell us how to make this service better.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

How do I.....?

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:44 pm

How do I post pictures?

There are two ways to add photos.

Method 1 - Linking by URL (link an existing photo that is hosted/resides elsewhere on the web).

Method 2 - Insert a photo using the attachment features of this site.

Method 1

If you roll the cursor over the "Img" button just above where you type the message body it shows how the coding should look.

You can get the Image tags by just clicking the "Img" button and it will make a front and back tag for you. You just need to insert the URL. You can get the URL by right clicking your photo and then left clicking "properties" then copy and pasting the location.

Sometimes there will be two locations listed. Make sure you grab the correct one or it won't work. You want to copy the "image properties" not "link properties" or "miscellaneous properties". Previewing is a good idea.

If you find you are having problems check for spaces between the coding. Spaces are probably the most common and easily missed mistake. If that doesn't work make sure you have the correct properties URL.

Method 2

With this method you will be hosting the photo and linking it from an attachment on your post. You are allowed to attach up to three photos per post. The picture(s) you would like to attach needs to be 256 KB or smaller. It may also need to be in JPEG or jpg format.

From the "Post Reply" screen scroll down to the section labeled "Upload attachment". In the "Filename" line there is a tab marked "Browse". Click this.

Find the file you would like to attach then click on it and then click open or double click on it to automatically open it.

There is a "File comment" box of you would like to add a comment to it. Right of the comment box is the "Add the File" tab. Click it to attach the file into your post.

There is an "Attachments:" bar just below the text box. Click on the "Place Inline" tab to put the attachment into your post. If there is more than one attachment you will need to pick each file as you would like to attach it.

Previewing is a good idea since you cannot fix the post once you submit it.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Re: How do I.....?

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:49 pm

How do I post a link?

If you roll the cursor over the "URL" button just above where you type the message body it shows how the coding should look.

You can get the URL tags by just clicking the "URL" button and it will make a front and back tag for you. You just need to insert the URL. The URL is the web address, it normally starts with "http://www." You can get the URL by highlighting the URL at the top of the page you want, then copy and pasting the location.

Doing the above will leave you with a link that looks like this...

http://www.climbeasterncanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5045

If you would like your link to look shorter or be fancy it takes a little more work. This would be the second example shown when scrolling over the "URL" button.

After clicking the URL button and getting the tags instead of inserting the URL between the url][/url you insert the URL urlHERE][/url with an "=" right in front of it.

It should look something like this: url=http://www.climbeasterncanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5045]Your link text here[/url

Due to not being otherwise able to see the above the "["at the front and the "]"at the end are both missing.

The finished link should look like this: Your link text here

You can increase the visibility of the above link by inserting the "bold" tags or "underline" tags around the text you want to show up as your link.

Making it look like this:Your link text here

Or this:Your link text here

Remember to always preview you post before hitting submit.

If you find you are having problems check for spaces between the coding. Spaces are probably the most common and easily missed mistake.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:47 am

How do I edit my post?

You can't which is why it's important to "Preview" your message before submitting. The preview button is just to the left of "Submit". It lets you look at your post exactly as it will appear when you hit submit.

If things don't look right they can be changed in the text box below the preview box.
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:19 pm

How do I add or change my profile photo?

When you add a profile picture/avatar it will show up next to your user information when you make a post and in your profile. There are two ways to add a profile picture/avatar. The first is to upload it from your computer. The second is to link it from somewhere on the internet. Only the option of uploading will be explained at this time. The method of linking is similar to linking a photo which is explained in "How do I Post a Picture".

Avatars must be at least 20 pixels wide and 20 pixels high, but no larger than 100 pixels wide and 100 pixels high. The avatar’s filesize must be between 0 and 39 KB. The hardest part will probably be getting your photo to the correct size. Use your choice of photo editing softwear to downsize the picture. The picture doesn't need to be cut square, but the largest dimension cannot be more than 100 pixels. A 50x100 pixel picture will work, but will be cropped square when it appears next to your posts.

Once you have your picture resized, remember where you saved it. You are then ready to start installing your profile picture.

Start by clicking on the " User Control Panel" tab in the upper right hand side of the screen. It is on the far right just below the photos at the top of the screen.

On the left hand side of the screen when in the User Control Panel is a box listed as "Options". It is just below the Image Board index tab.

Scroll down to the Profile tab and click it. This will expand the Profile options and you can click on the » Edit avatar tab.

Click on the Browse... tab and find where you saved your picture earlier. Click on the file you want and then click open, or double click the file you want.

The pop up window should disappear and the location on your computer where the photo is saved should be in the bar to the left of the Browse... tab. Click the Submit button just below and you should be done.
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:41 pm

How do I mark topics "READ" in bulk?

Topics can be marked "READ" for each individual forum or for the whole site.

Click on the Forum tab you would like to have all topics marked read.

Just above all the topics is a reddish bar.

On the left/center it says "Topics", follow the bar to the right to "Last Post" just above that should be the "Mark Topics Read" tab. Click that.

The board index page will have the same and will reset all on the site.
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:42 pm

Coming someday......

How do I send and receive private messages?

How do I quote someone?

If what you would like to do has not been described yet. Please click on this link to PM chossmonkey if you need help.
chossmonkey

Return to Suggestions Box / Site News