being a member of the forum to post

Tell us how to make this service better.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

being a member of the forum to post

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:03 am

Guest wrote:The more I read this flowers the more I think this climbing community is a bunch of winners.

Should we bolt or not bolt, is this a FA or not, should we have a forum in each province or not.

For f&?k sake just enjoy the forum and shut the f?&k up.

Now do you think that this would have ever been posted if he/she couldn't do it anonymously? Maybe crap like this wouldn't be posted if you had you be a forum member to post. It may make people think a little more before they post if they knew others might know who they are.

Let everyone still view without signing in though, then the lurkers can remain lurkers (plus it can be a bit of a pain in the arse to sign in every time), but lets at least have user names associated with these types of posts.

Rebecca - not doing very well as a lurker herself
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:06 am

I agree. I hate it when people post without putting their name up. Lurkers suck.

If you have something to say, and you can't put your name by it..then maybe you shouldn't be saying it in the first place.

Come on. Be a man. stand up to the job. tell us who you are.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:48 pm

In the end it doesn't really matter because anyone can claim a Gaston Pignet hotmail address and then post any crap. Luckily everyone has IP addresses. Judging by the recent posts, some don't seem to be aware of this.

Leaving it open to guests makes it easy for those who don't want to bother with registering. However, I will point out that the best advantage to loging-in (for those who don't know) is that all the new messages since your last visit are highlighted. Makes surfing a breeze.

chow chow
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:33 pm

I think this needs to be revisited. It's becoming kind of annoying when there's whole threads where everyone's name is Guest.
dcentral

Postby The Mitt » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:31 pm

Fred I believe there is an option with PHPBB that they can only become a member after you have looked at the submitted email. Thus weeding out the anon people with emails that cannot be traced.

Just a thought.

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby tracstarr » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:32 am

yeah, but at the same time it's easy just to go make any email with yahoo, hotmail or whatever just for such purposes. Still couldn't track people. and if people were smart, it's easy to get around the 'ip' tracking. which, well, in the end you're not going to be able to use for any purpose anyway except accuisations (sorry, can't spell).
tracstarr

Postby dcentral » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:08 pm

At least by getting an email they have to put some effort into registering. They just can't shoot their mouth off. Really though what's the big paranoia about, you are never going to have 100% control unless you make the site invite only.

Still having guest accounts is annoying.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:36 pm

The idea to allow guest posting is to make it inviting for outside users to just drop in. Unfortunatly we live in a world where other people feel they have to take advantage of that and post useless comments behind the safety of the 'guest'. I've spent much time on other climbing related forums (DrTopo, RedRiver, France etc) for planning my trips and I can say it's nice to not have to claim accounts at all these places when you just want to get the buzz on what's happening and where to go. Some have guest posting and some don't. I prefer when I don't have to claim an account since I only want to ask two questions.

The previous discussions that the situation can not be controled 100% because of email, IP, net Nanny and whatever other cyber thingy is not the reason the guest posting has not been banned. The guest posting exists for the reason I stated above. To make it inviting for visitors.

Therefore, I think we should not be looking at ways to block people (since we aren't that many to start with), but rather keep our discussions friendly and inviting where people won't be scared of being attacked and resorting to guest posting.

cheers all
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:53 pm

Well is there setting to make it so they have to type in a name. Because a thread of all 'Guests' is kind of annoying.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:48 pm

yes but then you have Mr Guest, Mrs Guest, Gaston Pignet and Fuzzy Wuzzy...
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:21 pm

That would be better. You should at least do that. I don't really care about this people hiding behind names.

At least this way when you read a thread it's not all Guest Guest Guest.
dcentral

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:35 pm

actually I don't think you can remove that without removing guest posting since leaving the field blank still posts as guest.

I tried banning the name guest and also claiming the guest username but leaving the field blank still posts as guest.

oh well
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:08 am

I assume now you have removed the option to login as guest.
dcentral

Return to Suggestions Box / Site News