How much traffic does Bald Peak get?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

How much traffic does Bald Peak get?

Postby Pierre » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:39 pm

I'm hoping to get up to the Welsford area this Saturday for some climbing..

Small group of us are going up... the group is mostly beginners and we will only be top roping. Would Bald peak be the best place go? Easy to setup anchors? How's the hike in?
Does it see much traffic? Does it get much sun?

Saw a post in Aug called Madness at BP

For anyone going up there, bring bags and gloves, there is still a ton of glass left. It is all over the ledges and bigger holds on the climbs as well.

Stef.

Has the madness improved?

Should I bring extra bags and gloves... Willing to do a little cleaning while I'm there....
Pierre

Postby john » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:51 pm

Its a great place to top rope, climbs are short fun and on great rock easy to access. The hike is about 20min uphill on a atv trail. Remember its on gagetown property so you need a day pass.
john

Postby Ropeguy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:50 pm

I was there last Fri and all is good.Most of the glass has been cleaned up.Arrived at 930 and climbed once ,Rock was very cold and we waited until 11:00 so the sun would help warm things up a little,rest of the day was excellent.The trail is in good condition however very rocky in places,may want to mention boots instead of sneakers to the noobs ,don't want to twist anything.All the ancors are easy to get to and in good shape,I tightened a few loose nuts.Keep in mind the rock on Baldpeak can be a little hard on the hands,I came down missing a bit of skin off the fingers,we were there the entire day and no one else showed up......Have fun!!!
Ropeguy

Postby martha » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:18 pm

Ropeguy wrote:The trail is in good condition however very rocky in places,may want to mention boots instead of sneakers to the noobs ,don't want to twist anything.

Meh, don't listen to Ropeguy, he's a pansy. I did it in my flip flops recently and I'm pregnant.

:lol: :lol:

The climbing is great for beginners. Most of the climbs have bolt anchors and the climbing is strait forward. It could be wet there if it rains hard all week, but if you have a sunny day, it will dry quickly once the sun hits it.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Pierre » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:11 am

Thanks for the info... I'm looking forward to climbing this weekend. The weather this weekend is looking great ( Finally SUN ) , so I'm sure it will be a good time. It seemed like ever other trip I planned it poured.
Pierre

Martha worte:

Postby Pierre » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:51 am

Meh, don't listen to Ropeguy, he's a pansy. I did it in my flip flops recently and I'm pregnant.

Impressive... I don't think I would make up there in my flip flops!
[/quote]
Pierre

Postby Ropeguy » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:39 pm

No doubt she was on Fred's back being carried,Just like when she's climbing and Fred is pulling onthe rope really hard or has it attached to the trailer hitch of his car......That's what she really meant to say!!!Right Martha :lol: :lol:
Ropeguy

Postby Pierre » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:37 am

No doubt she was on Fred's back being carried,Just like when she's climbing and Fred is pulling onthe rope really hard or has it attached to the trailer hitch of his car......That's what she really meant to say!!!Right Martha Laughing Laughing

Well then Fred's one strong dude, because I cannot imagine carrying my wife up there.....

I had a hard enough time carrying the climbing gear up there... then again I'm not in the best of shape these days.
Pierre

Postby martha » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:53 am

You guys don't know me very well if you think I would ever need a man to help me up a hill. 8)

Fred is carrying all the gear these days but more because my pack doesn't do up around my belly than any other reason. I still carry a small pack that doesn't have a waist belt with all the water/food and my harness and shoes jacket etc.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Pierre » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:13 am

I'm so jealous..

I wish that I had a wife that would go climbing with me outdoors... Freds a lucky guy! All I get is the nagging of your going climbing again!

My wife likes indoor climbing but I can't seem to get her to try it outside... any suggestions on how to get her to climb outdoors?
Pierre

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:17 am

Pierre wrote:My wife likes indoor climbing but I can't seem to get her to try it outside... any suggestions on how to get her to climb outdoors?

threaten with divorce :?:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:17 am

How about Cara is a lucky girl to have a Husband who comes climbing with her.....?? sheesh.

Fred and I met at the climbing gym. I'm a climber without him being my husband. If we weren't together, I'd still be going climbing and I own all my own gear etc. (you should see our combined rack now!)

However these days I do stay home a bit since my preggo belly is getting bigger. I have to be honest about that. However, I'll be back at 'er soon enough.

I'll be glad when we get a few days of cold and we can check out the ice in Parlee. I'd like to get a day in climbing before the baby comes!

martha

Postby martha » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:23 am

Pierre wrote: any suggestions on how to get her to climb outdoors?

tell her to 'suck it up' and deal with it. that indoor climbing is for pansy's and only a training ground for the real thing.

tough love. that'll do it.

If that doesn't work..i'd go the divorce route too......

martha

Postby Pierre » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:36 am

threaten with divorce Question

Thanks for the advice.. Do you think trading up for a better model will work?

I'm sure Cara is a lucky girl... did not mean to offend ya!

I think it makes it easier to plan climbing trips if your husband/wife team. If my wife would just understand this addiction with climbing it would make it so much easier for me.

For example:
I would not get hassled when racking up my visa buying new toys from MEC..

If she would join me on my climbing trips it would mean more trips, and hopefully with more climbing I might actually improve some...

I know if a climbing gym was close by she would join me but for some reason she doesn't want to try it outdoors.

[/quote]
Pierre

Postby martha » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:39 am

I agree with you there.

Fred and I plan our vacations around climbing trips. It is always 'where are we going this year' and it is something like...

How about Red rocks? or How about the Bugaboos? or How about Thailand?

neither of us are interested in going to cancun to lay on a beach. now, Thailand on a beach between belays...perhaps I could consider...

If one of us didn't climb, we'd never see the other. I even notice that now that I'm futher in the pregnancy. Fred is climbing outside more than I am as somedays I'm just too exhausted to do it. And once the baby comes, I won't get to ice climb etc at all for the rest of the winter as I'll be in recovery mode. Believe me, I've shed many jealous tears over this!!!

As for the shopping thing... The question is...do we want groceries this week or should we pick up some new crampons?

HAHAHA

martha

Postby Fred » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:48 am

whatever you do, don't try to make her climb. It will never fly.

A climber is a climber. You don't make climbers. You have to be drawn to it yourself.

Also, carefull with getting too adicted and leaving her behind all the time. People break up over that stuff.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:49 am

yup. true that.

We have lots of friends who have a partner who 'climbs' but isn't a 'climber'. There is a distinct difference.

martha

Postby Pierre » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:03 am

I'm lucky that when we do plan trips she does look into places that I can climb or she will tell me where the climbing gyms are.

Maybe sometime in the future I'll get her outdoors.
Pierre

Postby Ropeguy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:57 pm

Ya know Martha a friend of mine just had a baby month and she is already back to running.At 38 weeks she ran a 5km race,pretty impressive.I seen her over the weekend and you couldn't tell she just had a baby.You just might be up for a little ice postbaby.She has her husband and friends helping her out so she can continue to keep active and be a mom.
Ropeguy

Postby martha » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:11 pm

The problem comes more with the breast feeding than anything. I don't want to pump and introduce a bottle until at least 4-6 weeks to avoid any confusion on the baby's side, so that will take me to mid march at least, at which time the ice will be marginal in places. I'm sure that I'll be feeling okay in 4 weeks, so long as I don't have a c-section, but it is the hungry baby and magic boobs part that is an issue. :)

no biggie. There is always next winter. :) This winters project is a baby! hehehe

martha

Postby Pierre » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:36 am

Maybe next winter you can just put Fred on Parental leave and do all the ice climbing. :)
Pierre

Postby martha » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:50 am

Fred is going to be great actually. He will stay home some days so that I can go climbing for sure. If I have an opportunity to hit Parlee brook late in March he will stay home with the little one. :) His only problem is that his boobs don't work like mine!!

:)

martha

Postby Pierre » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:57 am

Looks like if he puts his mind to it they might
http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/miscarticles/milkmen.html
Pierre

Postby vbpad » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:03 am

that's wrong just wrong :x
vbpad

Return to New Brunswick