Introduction

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Introduction

Postby LILSPARK » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:41 pm

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Lilspark and I live in Welsford, so far have only hiked up Devil's rock and I am curious as to what there is rock climbing wise in my "village" I am not yet a climber due to lack of equipment but I know of the Cochrane lane cliffs and would like to climb them at some point. You may have seen me running the highway (training for a 1/2 marathon) not sure if this would help with climbing. 8)
I think therefore I run :)
LILSPARK

Postby martha » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:58 am

There is lots of climbing on the Cochrane Lane Cliffs. Just hike up some saturday/sunday and start chatting to people. Fred and I will be up there tomorrow afternoon at 'pryamid wall' (you'll see signs) so come and see us. You can't miss me. I'm 6 months pregnant. :)

By the way, you have to go to Petersville hill (base towards fredericton about 10 min drive from welsford) to obtain a day pass to go to the cliffs. It is Military property, and they require you sign in. There is more information in several other threads on this forum.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Petersville

Postby LILSPARK » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:18 pm

My fiance is in the army so apparently we can actually go there without a pass, but if we need one We'll get one. 8) We've hiked up Devil's rock a few times and we haven't know how popular Bald peak is, but I will check it out at some point. Is there a lookout that I can hike up to for a lookout to get a general idea of the area?
LILSPARK

opps hate to double reply

Postby LILSPARK » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:21 pm

But, We've heard a young man seriously injured himself 2 week ago after a fall at the Cochrane lane cliffs, also heard it took 2 hours to reach him, can anyone tell me what happened and I hope he will be ok :)
LILSPARK

Postby Fred » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:10 pm

I suspect when you visit the area on your own time you are civilians and you need to obtain a day pass like everyone else.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: opps hate to double reply

Postby Fred » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:13 pm

LILSPARK wrote:But, We've heard a young man seriously injured himself 2 week ago after a fall at the Cochrane lane cliffs, also heard it took 2 hours to reach him, can anyone tell me what happened and I hope he will be ok :)

Yes someone was baddly injured. He is parazlized from the chest down.

Climbing is inherently dangerous and you can be seriously injured or die. Proper instruction is essential to minimize risk.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick