So Horny...

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

So Horny...

Postby martha » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:01 pm

.... for ice climbing.

anyone else? Stef, you have the tools and crampons all shined up? our boots are being waterproofed for the season and the gortex it out and ready.

I've been fondleing my gear and reading past trip reports... sigh...
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Stef » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:29 pm

The gear is packed, waiting by the door...
Stef

Postby Mountain_Marc » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:15 pm

I got two days of ice this weekend in the Adirondacks and it got the juices flowing!! The head is strong and that's all I wanted to see...

Want more now!!!

Here's to hoping for cold Image
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:28 pm

Hey M_Marc - what's the skinny on ice climbing in the Daks?? I can get to Keene Valley in about 5 hours, so I'd like to ckeck it out this winter sometime. I'm a total ice n00b though, limited gear (including winter camping gear) so I don't want to just run out there unprepared.

Rebecca
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:01 pm

Hey G_grrl,

A good time to check it out would be during Mountainfest (http://www.mountaineer.com/mountainfest/mountainfest10.htm).

You have an opportunity to possibly take a class and check out some slideshows at night.

A lot of the ice is roadside on Rt 73 between Keene and Lake Placid, alot of good flows for beginners that are top ropeable. Can't miss it. Chapel Pond has a piss easy approach when the lake is frozen. North Face of Pitchoff can be easy if you have a 4WD.

Lodging can be from staying in a tent, ACC hut, hostel or hotel. I usually stay at The Hostel in Keene Valley. $20US a night. ACC hut is cheaper if you're an ACC member but i'm not a fan of it.

If you need to know anything else, let me know.

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

ice in the rockies

Postby Elvis » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:42 pm

yoyo marc what up?? climb at hafner creek this weekend... nice mixe conditions and all. took a nice wipper too in californiacation nice belay job on jeff's part

let me know how your trip will be in the daks...
Elvis

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:08 am

Hey Elvis,

Trip to the Dacks was sweet! Earliest day on ice for me, so that was a nice bonus. Probably all gone now or will be soon. It was like 10 degrees yesterday in the Dacks and is going to be like that for the next few days.

Jeff told me about your nice whipper. Keep pushing it dude! I recently found out that there are 2 bolted mixed lines in Ottawa. I'm going to have to give those a burn when the conditions are good.

Keep it real!

Mountain_Marc

Postby Stef » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:36 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:I got two days of ice this weekend in the Adirondacks and it got the juices flowing!!

Hey Marc, What was "in" in the 'Dacks? Poko anywhere near formed?

Cheers,

Stef.
Stef

Postby Ulysse » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:40 pm

Lots of ice in great shape right now. Most of the stuff in around Field and K-country is in. Nemesis is also in on the Stanley headwall.
Ulysse

Postby Mountain_Marc » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:57 pm

Stef wrote:
Mountain_Marc wrote:I got two days of ice this weekend in the Adirondacks and it got the juices flowing!!

Hey Marc, What was "in" in the 'Dacks? Poko anywhere near formed?

Cheers,

Stef.

We didn't check out Poko or Chapel Pond so not sure of the conditions there.

We climbed at North Face of Pitchoff and Cascade Pass. We climbed Central Pillar, Arm & Hammer and Tendonitis at Pitchoff. Thin but leadable. There was a party on Weeping Winds but heard it was really thin.

Climbed Sisters Right and Left at Cascade Pass. Top outs were thin and hollow but the bottom parts were pretty thick, easily taking 17cm screws.

Everything will probably be gone in the next few days. Forecasting temps in the 10s for the next few days.

Mountain_Marc

Postby mathieu » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:39 pm

Ulysse wrote:Lots of ice in great shape right now. Most of the stuff in around Field and K-country is in. Nemesis is also in on the Stanley headwall.

U been out a lot Ulysse? We did R&D a few weeks ago. Hoping Bourgeau is still in next week.
mathieu

lost e-mail

Postby Elvis » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:32 pm

ulysse this is Marc D'astous i lost your e-mail but i'd like to ice climbing soon. and you mentioned to me at the vision that e-mail was the best way to get a hold of you

regards
marc
Elvis

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:30 am

Mountain_Marc wrote:Hey G_grrl,

A good time to check it out would be during Mountainfest (http://www.mountaineer.com/mountainfest/mountainfest10.htm).

You have an opportunity to possibly take a class and check out some slideshows at night.

Sweet!! This sounds pretty good for an ice noob, esp with demo gear! (I have no idea what to get for tools, I wanted to try some out). The women's class sounds pretty good, and I have another female friend who might enjoy it too.

I'm glad to hear there are places to both top rope and sleep indoors, makes it a little less commiting. Most of my friends are only just getting into ice, though I know a few experianced folks who I might be able to convince to head there with me.

Okay, the end of rock season is starting to seem a little more tolerable!
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:45 am

granite_grrl wrote:Sweet!! This sounds pretty good for an ice noob, esp with demo gear! (I have no idea what to get for tools, I wanted to try some out). The women's class sounds pretty good, and I have another female friend who might enjoy it too.

I'm glad to hear there are places to both top rope and sleep indoors, makes it a little less commiting. Most of my friends are only just getting into ice, though I know a few experianced folks who I might be able to convince to head there with me.

Okay, the end of rock season is starting to seem a little more tolerable!

It's usually a blast. I'll be there!

Mountain_Marc

Return to New Brunswick