potential mixed or ice climbs

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

potential mixed or ice climbs

Postby Fred » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:03 am

I finaly made it up to the cliff in welsford accross from the cell phone tower without getting lost in the woods. The cliff is surprisingly high and long. Although there is room for some rock climbs, what realy caught my attention was the potential for mixed ice routes. Several lines appear to have good drips with overhanging caves. Any takes to check it out this winter? I'll try to post some photos later.

Also, has anyone ever checked the shore line between the Digby Ferry terminal in Saint John and Coleson Cove power plant. There appears to be a large cape along there. Any ice?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby jeremy » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:45 am

is the rock the same quality as cochrane lane?
jeremy

Postby Fred » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:08 am

No. I think it's basalt sorta like St-Andrews.

There is one nice layback corner that would be a great trad route. Unfortunatly, there isn't much else for traditional lines. And I"m not sure it's worth the bolting efforts up there given the proximity of Cochrane Lane.

but mixed... maybe.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby sputnik » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:18 pm

Fred,

Where abouts is this spot?

I ask because I was driving the back road to Welsford yesterday (through Fred jctn) and I noticed a spot about 5 KM up the road from the Welsford Irving on the right hand side that looks (from a distance) to have some climbable stuff.

Is that where you're talking about? If not, has anybody checked this place out?

--Andrew
sputnik

Re: location

Postby Fred » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:18 pm

sputnik wrote:Fred,

Where abouts is this spot?

I ask because I was driving the back road to Welsford yesterday (through Fred jctn) and I noticed a spot about 5 KM up the road from the Welsford Irving on the right hand side that looks (from a distance) to have some climbable stuff.

Is that where you're talking about? If not, has anybody checked this place out?

--Andrew

the spot you are talking about is the rock quarry. Ice is climbed there in the winter. Check out Joe kenedy's ice climbing guide to NB for more info.

The site I'm talking about is... on your way back to fredericton, pass the golf course there is a cell phone tower on your right before the uphill passing lane. park there. Cross the road. Follow a small brook untill it pretty much vanishes. Then trend uphill and right and you should come to a cliff.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick