Parlee Brook ice update

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Parlee Brook ice update

Postby Lisa-the-NP » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:47 pm

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble (or plans for the weekend), but Amber and I went to check out the ice at Parlee today - let me just say it's thin at best at the bottom of everything. . . guess you could have fun doing some very wet mixed climbing/sliding.
I'm not a hardcore ice climber by any means, but I lived in Banff for 6 plus years and know what good ice looks like.
cheers and remember to play safe,
Lisa
the difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination - tommy lesorda
Lisa-the-NP

Postby martha » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:55 pm

We've climbed there as early as October in years past and the first few times in are mostly frozen moss climbing. it will be fun regardless.

lots of times by now it is more than leadable, but we are expecting TR only this weekend. I'm sure that All the Kings horses and Sunbake wall are in, but the back curtains are not. You only need enough to hold tools and crampons to have fun!

I know what good ice looks like too...but perhaps being more of a 'hardcore ice climber' ...I am pretty horny to get the gear on and giver regardless of conditions!!!!!!

how was the road in? beat up by logging trucks pretty bad?
Last edited by martha on Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby jeremy » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:21 pm

please take pictures of conditions when your in there. I'm guessing its going to be more work that its worth, but I'm not "hardcore".

jeremy
jeremy

Postby martha » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:55 pm

we'll take pictures for sure. It will likely look like it did when Fred and I went in early November last year (check Joe Kennedys site for that picture)

I just really realy want to ice climb before i'm so huge I can't move. :)

but with being able to drive in...there isn't a lot of work involved really. Just fun!

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Re: Parlee Brook ice update

Postby martha » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Lisa-the-NP wrote:Don't want to burst anyone's bubble (or plans for the weekend), but Amber and I went to check out the ice at Parlee today - let me just say it's thin at best at the bottom of everything.

hey Lisa,

just had an update from Stef/Rob. The conditions in Parlee are good and leadable. :) perhaps you weren't in the right place (there are a couple of gorges there) or looking at the lines that normally come in early season?

See everyone there tomorrow! woot!

Cara

martha

Postby Stef » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:38 pm

Ice was good today, still thin but climbable. Road is driveable for cars with caution. We ripped off a metal bit from the bottom of Rob's car.

All the king horses: good, takes 22's in places
Back wall: ok/thin maybe leadable
Blue Pillar: thin, got TR'd today
Sunbake: top looks good, but the bottom is out.

Anyone driven by waterfall wall?

Cheers,

Stef
Stef

Postby martha » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:49 pm

Yup, same as what Stef said, except it rained on us the whole time in there in there so only did one climb. all the kings horses for us. Then we left.

It felt to good to be on the ice again. Everything was really wet, which is awesome for when the temps dip down again. Won't be long and that place will be really fat.

martha

Postby Fred » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:47 pm

Here are some photos from today

I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Ropeguy » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:41 pm

martha wrote:We've climbed there as early as October in years past and the first few times in are mostly frozen moss climbing. it will be fun regardless.

lots of times by now it is more than leadable, but we are expecting TR only this weekend. I'm sure that All the Kings horses and Sunbake wall are in, but the back curtains are not. You only need enough to hold tools and crampons to have fun!

I know what good ice looks like too...but perhaps being more of a 'hardcore ice climber' ...I am pretty horny to get the gear on and giver regardless of conditions!!!!!!

how was the road in? beat up by logging trucks pretty bad?

One climb Martha????? WTF......I thought you were Hardcore no matter what the conditions??You didn't let a little rain stop you did ya !! Thats what all that cool gear you have is for,Helping to keep dry........Sounds to me like your getting a little soft in your old age :wink:
Ropeguy

Postby john » Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:44 pm

Conditions were good today but wet three amigos and a bunch or lines on the oppisite wall were in, as well as what was previously mentioned. Temps were super warm right until dark, it is awsome to be warm all day, belaying without gloves on.
john

Postby martha » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:37 am

Ropeguy wrote:
One climb Martha????? WTF......I thought you were Hardcore no matter what the conditions??You didn't let a little rain stop you did ya !! Thats what all that cool gear you have is for,Helping to keep dry........Sounds to me like your getting a little soft in your old age :wink:

First...I didn't see you out there at all yesterday.....

I wasn't the one calling the shots there Ropeguy. There were two others with me too. And.. 'all that cool gear'... hahah...do you forget that mine doesn't fit me anymore? Staying dry wasn't the easiest. :)

I'll post of pic of my lovely gortex pants later on for you to enjoy! they didn't zipper up! and neither do any of my jackets! HA! So I had the side zippers undone on the gortex for climbing so the front bib could do up, and then when I was sitting, I had the side zippers done up and the front undone as it was more comfortable and I wore my Scholler Jacket, (which also doensn't do up) to keep me 'mostly' dry. :) It was interesting to say the least. Not to mention high stepping around this mega belly to climb vertical sections..that was a treat!

But I loved every minute of it!

martha

Postby Pierre » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:55 am

I'm going to have to further my addiction to climbing and learn how to ice climb!
Pierre

Postby martha » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:17 am

Okay rope guy..here is an indicator of how well the gortex fit! hehe. :)

Doesn't matter though, it was still a blast to be out there at all!

martha

Postby Shawn B » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:12 am

Darrell drove by WW on Sunday pm and said everything looked in from the farmers field. Left and middle looked to be joined and right looked quite big. Cave Fever had a line of ice the whole way but he couldn't tell what it actually looked like.

three amigos and a bunch or lines on the oppisite wall were in

Nothing in the lower ravine is in. The only thing climbable below Blue Pillar is KF Gully. Ice doesn't come close to touching down on Sunbake or 3 Amigos and even minimal ice on top part of 3 Amigos. A huge line over on the rock wall up Dog Gully looked rather wild.

'hardcore ice climber'

You will regret calling yourself this when years from now people are still calling you "hardcore". :lol: You should change your handle from Martha to HARDCORE!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt, from the blueberry fields, travel approx 400m from when you exit the fields. There is now clear cut on the left side of the road. You are looking for a logging road on your left. This road splits the new clear cut. In approx another 500m when you are through the clear cut take the road on your right. Travel on this for approx another 600m...and the clear cut will now be on your right and it ends half way to the next turn. At a 4 way intersection (with the straight and right roads being less well travelled) go left for approx 1km to the parking spot.

And....who the $#%& took my rap rings from the tree? And not only took the rings...but left the cut tat hanging on the tree. If you are going to steal something, at least take the garbage with you!!
Shawn B

Postby martha » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:39 am

Shawn B wrote:
marth wrote:'hardcore ice climber'

You will regret calling yourself this when years from now people are still calling you "hardcore". :lol: You should change your handle from Martha to HARDCORE!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know.... I know... i sense this already. It was more for 'RopeGuys' sake than anyone...he and I seem to have a friendly fire going on...

Shawn B wrote:And....who the $#%& took my rap rings from the tree? And not only took the rings...but left the cut tat hanging on the tree. If you are going to steal something, at least take the garbage with you!!

I know!! We came out yesterday armed with tons of brand new webbing, but only had one rap ring with us. we were expecting to re-use the ones that were already there on the tree and replace one if need be... we were gonna cut the really old webbing and add to your last years stuff with new stuff from this year...but ended up not doing either as we didn't want to make a webbing nest with only the one rap ring we had with us. :evil:

if we get out this weekend (it will be sunday) we'll take in two rap rings and the webbing and do what we were going to in the first place.

Also, we drove by hampton, and there is ice over everything, but nothing thick enough to climb. but tons of runoff which is kinda nice. :)

martha

Postby Richard Eh! » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:50 am

Man! You guys are killin' me!!! :( :( :(
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Postby john » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:08 am

Shawn,

Three amigos, sunbake and a 3-4 lines on the oppisite wall are definitly in(sunday), we lead a couple of them, and they all took screws to the hilt. Sunbake and three amigos don't go all the way to the brook but you can access them ealsiy up the treed slope without roping up. I thought the ice was really good and very solid on three amigos, sunbake looke dthe sdame but the lower section was thin.

Regardless, they is a ton of water flowing down every face by the end of yesterday, it will be really fat in no time if the weather cools off.

john
john

Postby Ropeguy » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:55 pm

I was there all day Saturday Martha........You know I gotta tell you we look a lot alike with belly hangin out :) ...........Here is a trade secret, Glad makes a hell of a comfortable disposable rain jacket and you get to pick from Black,White and fancy blue.....Don't tell anyone....They do have a nice Orange clor too but its more of a moomoo than a cool armless jacket!!
Ropeguy

Postby Lisa-the-NP » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:54 pm

Rick, can I come climbing with you when you wear the moomoo. . . :wink:
the difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination - tommy lesorda
Lisa-the-NP

Postby Ropeguy » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:15 pm

I save the moomoo for special days however because you asked me nice I will wear it for you very soon....Please try to refrain from madly falling for me or buying me dinner ......It is a thing of beauty :lol: :lol:
Ropeguy

Postby Lisa-the-NP » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:16 pm

I'll TRY and refrain myself. . . but you know me. . . though I do try madly to avoid falling whilst climbing. . .
Lisa-the-NP

Postby martha » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:09 am

Ropeguy wrote:You know I gotta tell you we look a lot alike with belly hangin out :)

I wasn't going to say anything....but since you did.... hehehe. :lol: :lol:

Tell them all what I say... 100% relaxed muscle!

Ropeguy wrote:Here is a trade secret, Glad makes a hell of a comfortable disposable rain jacket and you get to pick from Black,White and fancy blue.....Don't tell anyone....They do have a nice Orange clor too but its more of a moomoo than a cool armless jacket!!

I've heard of these jackets. I may just have to do that when I go out again! HA! I've been stealing Fred's Down Jacket and other items, but he also needs to be clothed when we go out!

martha

Postby jeremy » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:06 am

hey cara, in the picture of you getting set to rap into parley brook, what the heck kinda tools are stuck in the ground behind you? some sort of new mountaineering tool 8)

jeremy
jeremy

Postby martha » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:00 pm

HAHAH. that is hilarious! I didn't even notice!

It looks like a MEGA long BD Viper with DMM shafts that are about 4 feet long!

we like to use it for ice climbing and for sasquatch huntin'.

:D

martha

Return to New Brunswick