welsford today

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

welsford today

Postby Fred » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:21 pm

Dave Lister and myself attacked Welsford today. The first hour of our day was spent scoping out a new cliff for some mixed ice. The "Reception Wall" (located directly accross from the cell phone tower on the way back to Fredericton) had some ice forming but nothing big enough yet to climb on. It's too bad because the cliff is quite overhanging and would have some fun steep stuff if only the ice could form. After returning to the car we headed over to Cochrane Lane Cliffs. Once at Cochrane Lane we hiked up to Minkey to check out the smears. Some ice, but nothing climbable. Then we went around the corner and checked out "The Dike". There was great ice on "The Dike" and I think that thing could be lead with screws on the first half and rock gear near the top. Looks interesting. We thought maybe "Never Ending Story" might have some ice since it's always seeping wet in the summer. Nada... So finaly we headed over to Waterfall Wall. It's in pretty good shape considering the rain we got not too long ago. Both left and middle lines were lead. The right line was TR'd by Mat. It looked decent but a bit sketchy for screws maybe. I accomplished my only objective for this ice season, which was to lead Waterfall Wall. I was pretty happy about that and felt great. :) We didn't get a chance to see "Cave Fever" but Mat said the line was in. However, on our hike to Minkey, the slabs up top appeard sketchy at best. On the drive back home I decided to swing by the Quarry to check it out. The ice appears to be 3 times better than the photo I sent Joe over the holidays. It looks in decent shape from the road (from the road that is... ) FRED
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Matt Peck » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:41 pm

Annie, Ryan and I were into the Quarry today for a spot of fantastic weather. Most of the routes are in and at least 50% are fat enough to lead. We had a quick day in with Iced Cheese being lead. Still a little thin, so bring your stubbies! Lots of water flowing in places so if we get some cooler temps things will fatten up quick!

M@
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Return to New Brunswick