grand falls conditions

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

grand falls conditions

Postby justin » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:06 pm

Jeremy and I were to grandfalls today. Ok conditions. The main face you rap over was in, leadable but thin. The hidden gully to the right of the mainface was in. The tall stuff you see from the bridge was in but brittle as usual. We never went up the river to look at the tall nice pillars but they probably were not in.
PS Beware; when it is snowing like today, they plow the parking lot and push the snow and ice down over the left side of the main face. We were almost hit by a 2 ton piece of ice/snow.
We have picts that we will post somewhere soon.
justin

Postby rendog » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:49 am

HOLY CRAP MAN!!! glad to hear you're ok

is there any way to talk with the D.O.T and let them know that climbers are below the plowing and to not dump there?

We had to do that with Dept of Hwy's in Canmore due to the graders pushing rockes onto ppl all the time in one of the sport crags. They went along and put up a chain link fence to keep bak the rocks.

maybe something to go after ....

darran
rendog

grandfalls revisited

Postby jeremy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:44 am

I was back to grandfalls yesterday. The nice pillars on the upperwall are in, and the bigest one looks to be in great shape. From the other side of the gorge, I could see more ice half a km down the gorge on the same side as the main ice.
I would like to emphasize the danger of climbing there when the parking lot is being plowed. If we would have been in the wrong spot at the wrong time on friday it would have been game over :shock:
jeremy

Return to New Brunswick