Bouldering in Hillsborough

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Bouldering in Hillsborough

Postby thicks » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:50 am

sgt.global or Pierre, did you guys find some bouldering in the Hillsborough area? Could you post directions to the spot? I will be in town on Sunday and wanted to talk a look around. PM me or just post here I guess.
Many thanks
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Pierre » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:16 pm

Hey Thick

I PMed the e-mail of directions I recieved from Sgt. Global to ya....

Pierre
Pierre

Postby thicks » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:48 pm

Many thanks
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby sgt.global » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:57 pm

anyone every find those boulders. I will be in moncton around the may long weekend if anyone wants me to take them there. drop me an email if so.
sgt.global

Bouldering

Postby Nickvaf » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:55 pm

Hey there everyone. I was wondering if someone could give me directions to any bouldering spots in Hillsborough. I live in the town so if anyone's comin when I'm not busy I might be able to show them.

Thanks

Nick
Nickvaf

Postby thicks » Mon May 01, 2006 9:27 am

I didnt end up finding the boulders, my fellow campers had to rush back into Moncton, but here are the directions:

Drive down past hillsborough until you see the "Riverview Cemetery" on your left. There will be a dirt road on the opposite side of the road that goes up a short steep hill. Follow that road for about 5 min. there is a road that branches off to the right but stay straight on the main road until you see a small sink hole on your left. It will look like a small crater-like hole filled with water. you can park just past the hole on your left into a small grass turn off. If you miss the hole you will get to a hill with a locked gate and will have overshot the park spot by about 50-100 feet. when you park head straight into the woods perpendicular or 90 degrees from the road. you will run into a brook or small river with a steep hill on the other side. if you search along the bottom of the hill you will find a large piece of sandstone that has rolled down the hill. There are a few problems on this boulder. if you cannot find it head straight up the hill and traverse the top. there are a few sandstone ledges with problems on them. The best boulder problem is to the right of the ridge but may be difficult to find. all the problems are within 200 meters of each other so once you find one you can find the others by searching. I have included a rough guide to help you. from the car park. The problems are worth the trip due to the cool sandstone features but there is only a day of bouldering. You can always email me with questions or even call me from the boulders if you need help finding them. Let me know if you plan to take a trip out and I will give you my number to call. Hope this helps and that the weather works out take care.

Thicks
thicks

Postby Meej » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:22 am

Out of curiosity, has anyone rated these bolders?

Cheers,
Mark
Keep it casual.
Meej

Postby sgt.global » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:35 am

The bouldering is not amazing but there is enough there to keep you busy for a day climbing on nice overhaning sandstone (10 established problems). It will also give you a chance to see what the hillsborough area may have to offer. I have not scouted the area well but belive that there would be some other stuff inland along some of the other steep river banks. quality rating of climbs is 8/10. concentration rating is 2/10 compaired to Dover but 10/10 compaired to anything else in the moncton area. If anyone ever makes it out I would like to hear what they think.
sgt.global

Return to New Brunswick