New Highway Through Welsford

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

New Highway Through Welsford

Postby Chris » Mon May 08, 2006 10:24 am

I know we discussed this awhile back but there is a meeting tonight to show the residents the new proposed Highway route. Does anyone have any information regarding the plans and any potential impact to the climbing areas? here is the story from CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/nb/story/nb-route-7-20060508.html

CD
Chris

Postby martha » Mon May 08, 2006 11:04 am

Mike Fellows and Pat Keleher put together a plan and had a petition drawn up a few years back.

I will call Pat and see if he is around for the meeting tonight.

cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Fred » Mon May 08, 2006 12:10 pm

I don't think the proposed route follows the same path as it did years ago. It is my understanding that the road is to go behind Eagle rock. Someone should go to the meeting though to confirm this.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby vbpad » Mon May 08, 2006 2:37 pm

i've been working on the animations for this and it'll start right before the quarry and pass over rte 101 right over the old church/school should take out a portion of the path to bald peak but not bald peak itself. i'll be at the meeting tomorrow.
vbpad

Postby vbpad » Mon May 08, 2006 2:38 pm

and yes it will run behind eagle rock
vbpad

Postby Andrew » Thu May 11, 2006 9:47 pm

What part of the trail to bald peak?

In other news, I don't understand why the gov't needs to bypass welsford. It's not a big deal to slow down to 80 for 3 minutes and then 60 for 1, really. It's the only real slow down between here and fredericton (here =SJ). I would say spend thos million fixing saint john roads (and of course other needing areas). You could loose your car in some of hte holes around here and i have nearly a few times.

Anyhow... at least its not gonna go through Cochrane Lane.

Climb on.
Andrew

Postby martha » Fri May 12, 2006 7:52 am

vbpad wrote:i've been working on the animations for this and it'll start right before the quarry and pass over rte 101 right over the old church/school should take out a portion of the path to bald peak but not bald peak itself. i'll be at the meeting tomorrow.

Is it going Through the Quarry? Ie.. are we loosing our ice climbing???!?!?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby vbpad » Fri May 12, 2006 10:19 am

vbpad

Postby vbpad » Fri May 12, 2006 10:20 am

sorry for size of above pics if you can't see them i can send you larger copies.
vbpad

Postby Andrew » Fri May 12, 2006 9:18 pm

Larger versions would be much better. I really can't make head or tail of what I'm seeing :(

vbpad wrote:sorry for size of above pics if you can't see them i can send you larger copies.
Andrew

Postby cory » Wed May 24, 2006 11:36 am

vbpad,
It looks like there is a diverging of the Northbound and Southbound lanes along the old skihill. Then they reunite and loop West around the bald peak of Mt Douglas. Am I reading the map/photo correctly?

The old skihill (East slope of Mt. Doug, facing the highway/golfcourse) is home to some excellent boulders which I, for one, will surely miss :cry: Maybe the lanes will leave all the climbing intact and give us an easy apprach! There's nothing like the roar of a 25m sunbury truck speeding by while enjoying the natural beauty.

C
cory

Postby vbpad » Wed May 24, 2006 12:49 pm

actualy the new highway joins up before the old skihill it might take out the very bottom of some of the runs but ery little
vbpad

Return to New Brunswick