Newcomers to New Brunswick

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Newcomers to New Brunswick

Postby Josali » Tue May 23, 2006 2:19 pm

Hi Everybody!
Our names are Alison and Josephine and we're both interns at the Falls Brook Centre, in Carleton County NB (about 1.5 hours driving from Fredericton). We'd like to get involved in the climbing community in NB but don't really know where to start or who to contact. We're usually free on weekends and usually able to get a ride as far as Woodstock or sometimes Fredericton. Neither of us have our gear here so we'd need to rent...also no vehicle, but are willing to hitchike or chip in for gas if someone's passing by our neck of the woods.
Is there anyone who knows about any upcoming trips that would have room for 2 more? We've heard lots about the UNB Rock and Ice club- are there any members who'd be willing to fill us in?
Thanks folks, look forward to being in touch with some of you!
Alison and Josephine
Josali

Postby cory » Wed May 24, 2006 11:20 am

You can bus (Acadian) right to Welsford, which is the main climbing spot in the Province. It'd be pretty easy for any climber to meet you there and give a lift to the cliffs. You could walk to bald peak or cochrane lane from there too if you we're really keen. Once on cochrane lane (700m from the bus stop) any climber would pick up a hitch hiker to take them the rest of the way to the trailhead.

There are tonnes of nice people in Fredericton, too that would offer you a ride and guide from there.

I probably won't be there myself for at least a few weeks, so good luck.
cory

Postby Josali » Thu May 25, 2006 5:40 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips.

If I was to hitch down to Fredericton Saturday morning, would there be anybody going out this weekend? I unfortunatelly don't have my rope with me but I have my shoes and harness. I would also be happy to boulder if there is some bouldering to be done. It's been a month since the last time....I really need to touch some rock! I am even ready to confront the hords of blackflies!

I went on Fred's website and have looked through some postings on this forum, so I have a better idea of what is going on in NB, but still it would really be great to go out with some local climbers.

Hoping to be meeting some of you somewhere soon

Josephine
Josali

Return to New Brunswick