accommodation reccommendation???

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

accommodation reccommendation???

Postby johanna » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:37 am

Hi,

A friend and i are renting a car and coming to NB to climb (sport and top rope only) for a week. we are planning on climbing at both greenlaw and welsford.

we have to decide whether to stay at the UNB saint john, or the UNB fredericton campus - but have to chose one in order to get a discount! can't figure out which is the better city to use as our base. any recommendations?

thanks!
johanna

Postby *Chris* » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:26 am

Hi Johanna,

As a long time former resident of Saint John I'd have to recommend Fredericton. It's more green, has a bigger climbing community (including a campus indoor wall), and doesn't stink like pulp mills or oil refineries. You might also find the UNBSJ residence to be a bit out of the way whereas UNBF is right downtown. Distance to climbing is about equal for both. Oh yeah, nearly forgot... SJ summer weather = fog... constantly. Don't get me wrong here, SJ is awesome; it's just that Fredericton is somewhat more better awesome. Sweet.
*Chris*

Postby martha » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:05 am

You are welcome to camp in the farmers field in Welsford. Go way to the back of the field and stay in the shade of the big pine trees. It is really nice. and free!

In St. Andrews, we have camped at the campground in OakBay about 15 minutes from greenlaw. It is pretty nice and not too many kids. ask for a spot down on the water. sites 62-65 if my memory serves me correctly. It is pretty cheep too. maybe 18-25$ per night for one car and a tent.

If you are set on staying on campus... Fredericton is the way to go. Make sure to check out the market on saturday morning if you are there then. :)

good luck!

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:54 am

If you are planning on climbing in Greenlaw and Welsford, staying in Saint John would seem to be more handy.

Saint John is 30mins from Welsford and Greenlaw is 1hr15mins from Saint John.

I'm not sure about this, but I think Greenlaw is significantly further from Fredericton than Saint John is.

Now UNBF has a climbing wall but who wants to climb indoor in summer?

My opinion.
Andrew

Postby *Chris* » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:46 am

True storey here but let's put this into perspective. If you're willing to drive approx. 10 hours each way from Montreal are you really gonna get upset about an additional 10 minutes each way to the crag. Doubt it. Pick Fredericton for improved awesomeness. 10-4
*Chris*

Postby Fred » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:39 pm

Greenlaw is also only 1h15min from Fredericton
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Thanks!

Postby johanna » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:13 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies and help. All booked and ready to climb!

For the record and in case someone else searches the archives... UNB accommodation is really cheap ($180 if you have a student card for a double room for the week) and can be booked at:
ph: 506.453.4800
email: unbhotel@unb.ca

Sure wish Montreal had a climbing community like this one!!!
johanna

Postby Jamie Simpson » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:37 am

Hey Johanna,

You and your friend are also welcome to camp on my property - a few minutes from Greenlaw. I always welcome climbers! And if you catch me at the right time I'd be happy to show you around Greenlaw (and how to get to the cliff too).

Jamie

529-3003.
Jamie Simpson

Return to New Brunswick