Bolted routes on waterfall wall

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Bolted routes on waterfall wall

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:57 am

Peter Adamson (14), Steve's son, did his first on-site last night on Goo-Goo. This is a great route excellent for beginning leaders. But I'd like to warn people about loose rock near the top. Luckily Peter moved left towards the bolt anchors on Drytoolers, but I stepped right between the second last and last bolt, shooting for the birch tree. There is a large flake that looks like a tempting foot hold, but is very loose. The remaining rock on that side is also very suspect. So for the sake of your partners, do not use holds on the right hand side of Goo-Goo near the top. The intended line directly straight up is good and solid . Also, Drytoolers is a great route too. Highly recommended.
Joe

Postby Fred » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:01 am

Goo-Goo shoots left at the second last bolt then moves back right to the last bolt and then finish at the tree/ bolt anchor. This avoids going straight up the crumbly stuff. The really crumbly stuff is kinda off route and is certainly suspect. The line is a bit contrived but unfortunately it was the only way. The reasoning for the second anchor (and not finishing at drytoolers) is so that both lines can be climbed at the same time with independent anchors. We've already seen tons of traffic on these two lines and had multiple groups on them at once. I will probably try to head out with a hammer some time soon to knock out some of the loose stuff. Or if someone would like to do it for me that would be greatly appreciated. These two routes seem to have seen as much traffic as Snakepeel and IAWOL this summer.

Glad you enjoyed the routes.

cheers
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick