Of Birds and Men

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Of Birds and Men

Postby Graham » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:30 pm

Had a bit of an encounter today while checking out some boulders/caves on Green hill Lake Mountain. I was happily mosiing my way along anddecided to get to a higher vantage point. As I got higher I noticed a stench of dead animal and lots of Bird poop. And low and behold as I pulled over a ledge there, not two feet from my face was an extremly mangy Turkey Vulture(I think, I have been unable to find a picture that matches it. Had white head, white feet and dark body. So not quite a turkey vulture I supose) Well it was none to pleased to see me and took flight after a big hiss. scared the daylights out of me, and I am now the owner of a nice little bump on the head from wing impact as it took off.

Lots of potential boulders and tunnels there though. Alot of it needs some cleaning. Also there are a few micro routes that present nice little challenges, Also a really sick looking climb up a blank dihedral that is well past my ability. So if you are looking for a day of fun that's a little closer, there's enough there for a few hours of fun.
Graham

Postby thicks » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:02 pm

Gotta map to get there Graham? This was the best I could find, not sure how close it is though....

map

Thicks
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby cory » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:43 pm

detals please.... rock type, height, quantity, boulders or cliffs, approach, bugs, drainage/sun exposure, area size (ie concentrated or dispursed), landings (flat/sloping/irregular, vegetation/rocky), cleaning required (moss, lichen, guano, cobwebs, clean)...

Cory
cory

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:02 am

I'd like specific locational details, but for the bird, not the rock! I'm a wildlife boilogist, and track nests like this. Surprisingly we know of only a few vulture nests in the province, despite the apparently large number of them in the skys. They definately nest in boulder fields, and are very shy, and sensitive to human disturbance. Please give this nest site a wide safety buffer. Graham, please send me an email with a map, or preferably GPS coordinates, joe.kennedy@gnb.ca Thanks for the info, Joe.
Joe

Postby thicks » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:08 am

And some specific directions so any adventuring climbers dont stumble upon the nest the same way you did, if that is possible.
T
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Graham » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:25 pm

I'll put together some info for people who are interested, it probably won't be for a couple of days though. As a quick guide to the area, go to http://www.greenhilllakecamp.com, there are directions to the camp on the site, when you get to the camp, keep driving down the road until it urns into a dirt road. you can park on the side of the road, as long as you don't block the enterence. Walk down the track until you get to a T junction, turn left up it and imediatly on your right there will be a foot path that takes you right to the top of the mountain (really more of a small hill) At the open area on the top, head right over to a small ledge. walkdown the steep rock slope and you'll be on the top of the climbs. head left along a small path that will lead to the bottom.

Hope that makes sense, I'll try to get together more comprehensive directions as well as some other info on the climbs that exist and conditions (the rock is granit by the way.)

Hey Joe, I'd be more than happy to get you some co-ordinates, I'll be up the mountain tonight so will mark it out. The area it is nestng in is apart from the main climbing area so it shouldn't be a problem keeping clear of it. I don;t think it was a turkey vulture because it wasn't bald, I tried to look it up on the net, but couldn't find a match. Do you know any decent sites for identifying Birds of Prey? I unfortunatly don't have a bird book with me but would love to know what it was.
Graham

Postby Pierre » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:01 pm

Pierre

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:33 am

http://www.pbase.com/muskrat/birds_of_prey
This site has lots of great photos of birds of prey common to NB, including a shot of a juvenile turkey vulture. I believe your bird to be this because of your description and habitat. Not many big birds nest in boulder fields. I might have to ground check this! Joe.
Joe

Postby Richard Eh! » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:48 am

As I understand it, that proprety belongs to Charlie and Bonny Hanson in the last house on the left at the end of Green Hill Lake Rd. (Nackawic exchange) They're good people and I think a check in with them would probably be appreciated. You can also reach Charlie by phone at NB Power. He's in Distribution Engineering on the 8th floor at Head Office, King Street.
If'n ya think ya can, ya can! If'n ya think ya can't, yer right....!
Richard Eh!

Return to New Brunswick