Shortcut...

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Shortcut...

Postby cptsmith » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:47 pm

My buddy and I trekked from Pink Rock Rd. to Slacks cove on Tuesday, (Dorchester area ???) and found some climbing gear, tents, cooking equipment etc. on top of a ridge. Just wondering if anyone here belongs to the gear (we didn't touch it, still there) but am wondering if there is a shortcut to get to the area, cause it's 90-100 minute trek from either end to get there. Plus a 45 minute drive.

Thanks in advance...
cptsmith

Postby cptsmith » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:54 pm

actually... forgot to mention... there is what seems like 5-6 good solid boulders there. Most seem to be made of sandstone (but my knowledge of stone composition is somewhat lacking) and some of a chalkier white/yellow stone. My buddy and I climbed on them all, and they held our weights, but don't know how safe they really are. They vary from about 8 feet high, to 15-16 feet high.
I have a memory stick full of pics, but can't upload them. If I ever get a windows system again, or get access to one, I'll upload em for y'all to see.
cptsmith

Postby thicks » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:45 am

Sounds interesting, i would love to see those pictures.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby cory » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:37 pm

yes... I'm interested, too.

Cory
cory

Postby Pierre » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:28 pm

I'd be interested in seeing pictures too..

cptsmith - was this area hard to find?

I've been out to Slacks Cove and Cape Maringouin looking for anything worth to climb but haven't really seen anything that sparked my interest.

Pierre
Pierre

Postby cptsmith » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:02 pm

the area is fairly easy to find... if you can make it to Slacks cove... get down to the shoreline and trek west... just be VERY mindful of the tide times... two ridges become unpassable at high tide

I'm hoping to have some time off work this weekend or early next week, I'll get Windows installed and upload those pics (damn Linux !! ) ...

and we're heading out Mon/Tues next week depending on work, so I'll try to get some co-ordinates of the areas I mentioned... and some specific travel times...

but really, there's ALOT of rock down there... just not easily accessible, and limited climbing time due to the insane water levels at high tide...
cptsmith

Postby cptsmith » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:11 am

http://picasaweb.google.com/Savoie.Mat/RockportSlacksCove

As promised... finally got around to uploading the pics. The first few are the ridge I was talking about. There's about a 15 foot climb to get to where the pictures were taken from, and about 25-30 foot climb to the top. The rest are all areas where we climbed on the rocks.

I'm heading down again this weekend looking for the shortcut to it. Will try to get some better pics and some more facts.
cptsmith

Postby cory » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:19 pm

thanks, please keep updating as you explore
C
cory

Return to New Brunswick