skihill bouldering location???

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

skihill bouldering location???

Postby CapeBaller » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:28 pm

Just want to know where to find this skihill bouldering location. I've been to Welsford at Cochrane Lane and Bald Peak but never heard of the skihill. Thanks in advance.
Ricky
CapeBaller

Postby cory » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:08 pm

The skihill is the abandoned, and overgrown old ski hill (obviously), which was located opposite the golfcourse. It may or may not be considered the eastern slope of Mt Douglas -home of bald peak, but it's definitely the same chain.

Cory
cory

Postby CapeBaller » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:16 pm

cory wrote:The skihill is the abandoned, and overgrown old ski hill (obviously), which was located opposite the golfcourse. It may or may not be considered the eastern slope of Mt Douglas -home of bald peak, but it's definitely the same chain.

Cory

Cory, Thank you for the info. I forgot to ask, is it hard to find? Basically what's the best way to get to this place. Is there a path from the road, where to park car? All the usual stuff I guess.
Thank you
Ricky
Rick
CapeBaller

Postby cory » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:24 pm

Supposedly there is a trail from the old skihill parking lot. The lot is on your right (from Freddy) just before the golf course. Actually the driveway to the lot is on your right. Park here unless you have good clearance 4x4.

Walk (drive) up the driveway and you'll come to a large sand and gravel clearing.

Back to what I said about a supposed trail... I've been there 5 or 6 times and have not managed to follow the trail the whole wayonce. It is poorly marked with faded ribbon and webbing, many flagged trees have fallen, other trees have fallen accross the "trail". There are some large patches of loam(?) that you'll sink past your boot tops when it's wet....

You want to basically head straight up the slope towards the large face (apparently dubbed Jailhouse Rock by some SJers years ago). Immediately below the face and right are the bulk of the large boulders, but there are many smaller ones (and some BIG ones) hidden all over that slope. Total B-line distance would be about 1Km.

Just last visit did I actually begin to understand the relationship (ie distance, direction) between each of the outcroppings found thus far. Visibilty range is limited, and the terrain is somewhat confusing.

I plan on going back this weekend if you want to connect I'll show you around, Ricky. 647-7686
cory

Postby Rockaholic » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm

Hey!
Here are the GPS coordinates from the reconnaissance mission: :lol:

N 45`28.130'
W066`20.643'

Hope this helps!

Cory, what day were you thinking of going? If you want boulders you should head to Clifton! Tom and I found some pretty sweet ones just waiting to be cleaned!

Natascha
Rockaholic

Return to New Brunswick