NB Beer & Whiskey Festival

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

NB Beer & Whiskey Festival

Postby sb » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:03 pm

Just a heads up about the annual un-official NB Beer & Whiskey Festival... and maybe some ice climbing too. Sat Feb26 @ Ministers Face (weather and ice conditions...both vertical and horizontal (river)...permitting). Parking at Rothesay Yacht Club and walk across the Kennebecasis River (1.5km) to Ministers Face on Long Island. I'll post directions once I check exit numbers. Snowshoes or skis may be of benefit depending on amount of snow on the river ice. Munchies, beverage sampling and slides to follow at the Adamson's (byo including slides if you have some to show). Schedule: Min Face approx 10-4ish (beverage free); Adamsons 6ish. There may be some extra boots and crampons available if newbies wish to try it. Bring ski boots incase and a harness & helmet if you have one. We should be able to set up 4 or 5 lines varying from Gr3-4+. And unfortunately I have to do this...
Please note: Ice climbing is inherently dangerous. A number of factors involved in ice climbing can result in severe injury or death. This festival is not an officially organized event and participation is done so at your own risk.
sb

Postby martha » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:19 pm

Hey all,

I had a great conversation with the grivel/trango/new england ropes rep on the weekend.

He is sending us a bunch of Trango tools and some Grivel items to Demo at Ice Festival. I may even have a 'door prize' to give away at Steve's afterwards. :)

See you all there!!!

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby sb » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:25 pm

Directions as follows:
If coming from Moncton - Hwy # 2 Westbound to Hwy # 1 Westbound (follow signs for Saint John). Take Exit # 137 B-A for Rothesay, go right at the stop sign. The Rothesay Fire Dept will be right in front of you. Go left at the fire dept, down the hill and right around the corner. Once you crest the next hill look directly across the river and you will be able to see the ice. Go straight at next stop sign (post office across the road). Go straight at next stop sign again, cross the tracks and turn right into Rothesay Yacht Club. Walk across the river.
If coming from Saint John - Hwy # 1 Eastbound. Take Exit 137B, go around loop and across the overpass. The fire dept is now in front of you and follow directions above from the fire dept.

Currently little or no snow on the river ice so walking should be fine if we don't get any big dumps. Skates may be quickest but not sure how good the ice is for skating. As of this past weekend, ice was good but very hard and brittle. Both left and right curtains formed.

The apres party is at the Adamson's. It is on Rothesay Park Road (sorry don't know the #) but it is the 3rd house past the stone mansion. Nice older farmhouse (barn actually) very close to the road on a corner. From Rothesay Yacht Club, go out driveway and across the tracks. Immediately go right and follow along tracks until you can go right back across them again. See the mansion (you'll know it when you see it) and 3rd house is where the party is at. Not sure about parking. It is a one way road.
sb

Postby martha » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:22 am

woohoo! skating!

i'll bring mine!!! :D

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby martha » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:58 pm

to all concerned.

I have a 'Maxim' rope to give away at ice fest this weekend.

shall we draw names?

:)

martha

Postby Ropeguy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:32 pm

Don't bother drawing names Cara,Just give it to me!!

Thanks
Ropeguy

Postby sb » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:45 pm

excellent...can we use it at the fest? that way joe won't pooch my only good rope this year!! if someone has an old deck of cards, we can rip them in half and use them as tickets for anyone who is at steve's that evening.
sb

Postby martha » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:30 am

hahah.. I forgot about Joe's incredible aim last year.

I thought he was the one with all the experience...there we were telling all the noobs not to hit the rope!!!

martha

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:43 am

Hey, it's not as easy as it looks! It took years of training for me to aquire that skill. Practice it at home, or at gear demos. By the way, good job on getting those demos Cara. Bring as much stuff as possible, especially ropes!
Joe

Postby martha » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:10 am

Perhaps you could teach us some of your 'aim' techniques, you know, for when we need to cut the rope!!!

HAHAHAH

I've tons of tools to demo, 3 pairs of crampons and some helmets.

woohoo.

martha

Postby Fred » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:22 am

Just a little not to say that "Team Pignata" will be present. Phase1 (preparation) is 75% complete. Hope to see you all there sporting something crazy.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby mathieu » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:31 am

Good to see that "Team Pinata" is still representin'

Mot a ta mere
mathieu

Postby martha » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:47 am

Mot a ta mere

we'll send pics love. still going strong!

martha

Postby martha » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:21 am

http://dopey.hil.unb.ca/WebGalleries/iceclimbing/

here is a link to some pictures from Ice Festival.

looks like there was a Moose, a fish, a recycled ram, a devil and and angel there!!

:)

martha

Postby mathieu » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:41 pm

Great pics,

Good to see that the moose migrated back to this hemisphere and that the goat made an appearance with another familiar face under the its watchfull eye.
mathieu

Return to New Brunswick