NB Icefest

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

NB Icefest

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:41 am

We're planning on holding the Icefest at Ministers Face on Feb 24. We'll meet at the ice around 10am. All the major gear companies will be handing out free tools and ropes, and Jeff Lowe is offering free advanced instruction clinics. To be followed by a gathering at Steve Adamsons house, with a free presentation by Reinhold Messner, and an all you can eat Thai buffet with unlimited booze.
But as a back up, please bring along potluck-type foods and any cool slide/picture show you may have. Everyone is welcome.
Joe

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:49 am

Are you saying Reinhold Messner will be there?? If so, i'm so driving the 10 hours to NB!

Can I stay somewhere? lol
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:58 am

Anyone from Ontario want to go?

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:07 am

Mountain_Marc wrote:Anyone from Ontario want to go?

Gah, it'd be really cool to go......don't tempt me!

How far is it from Toronto to Ottawa?
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:08 am

granite_grrl wrote:

Gah, it'd be really cool to go......don't tempt me!

How far is it from Toronto to Ottawa?

4.5 - 5 hours

Mountain_Marc

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:22 am

Me, me, me, me, me, pick me!

I'm not sure how practical it would be though. Maybe I could carpool to Ottawa with that Granite_Grrl girl?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:47 am

chossmonkey wrote:

Me, me, me, me, me, pick me!

I'm not sure how practical it would be though. Maybe I could carpool to Ottawa with that Granite_Grrl girl?

You'd have to behave yourself. :P

I don't know, very tempting, but to drive that far on a two day weekend is a little crazy.
granite_grrl

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:56 am

granite_grrl wrote:
You'd have to behave yourself. :P

I don't know, very tempting, but to drive that far on a two day weekend is a little crazy.

I never said I was normal :P but if Mr. Messner is there in person i'm so going.

Mountain_Marc

Postby mathieu » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:18 am

On an unrelated but totally relevant topic, have you ever attended a lecture by Sir Knight Duke Messner. Apparently not the most lively fellow.
mathieu

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:21 am

mathieu wrote:On an unrelated but totally relevant topic, have you ever attended a lecture by Sir Knight Duke Messner. Apparently not the most lively fellow.

Nope, regardless of his liveliness he's still a legend in my book.

Mountain_Marc

Postby martha » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:30 pm

Joe I think I can see something on your lip...

is that bull flowers???

But yes, Ice Fest is a real event... as for the free gear/ropes/booze/thai food and Reinhold Messner...... hmmm..... didn't you see joe trying to claim those ice climbing gloves that Stef Found?

sheesh.... :roll:

I'll be there with bells on!!!! perhaps we'll bring baby too! :)

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:08 pm

martha wrote:I'll be there with bells on!!!!

I hear you look good in bells.
granite_grrl

Postby saF » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:17 am

For those of us not familiar with it, where is Ministers Face? You never know, there could even be a contingent from PEI if all goes right.

saF
Scott Ferguson
Cornwall, PE
saF

Postby Mountain_Marc » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:47 am

martha wrote:Joe I think I can see something on your lip...

is that bull poop???

But yes, Ice Fest is a real event... as for the free gear/ropes/booze/thai food and Reinhold Messner...... hmmm..... didn't you see joe trying to claim those ice climbing gloves that Stef Found?

Cara

I guess it did sound too good to be true. I was wondering why Reinhold Messner would be going to NB. Looks like i'm not going. Off to La Pomme D'or instead.

Mountain_Marc

Postby martha » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:40 am

That is really too bad, because NB ice fest is second only to the Ouray Ice Festival.

we have A LOT of fun and the climbing is great!

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Stef » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:46 am

Second to Ouray! I think not... NB icefest is the poop. Have fun this year guys! I am missing it again, stuck in rainy Vancouver :(

Cheers,

Stef.
Stef

Postby Ulysse » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:33 pm

It sounds like so much fun that I think I'll head down. Would a person be permited to participate with a few mike's hard. I only need one RESPONSIBLE person to tie my figure 8. Deja vue! Hope to see you guys there.
Ulysse

Postby Shawn B » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Hey U...you headed back for another visit? I'll bring an extra pack of Mikes just to add to the entertainment factor. :lol: Bring you gear this trip. We'll try to get you into Little Salmon and out to St. Martins. Been very cold here and Little Salmon should be huge and easy to get around so long as we don't have any big rain storms to blow out the river.

Re address for SAF...coming from PEI...take Exit 137B-A off of Hwy1 in Rothesay, NB. Go right from off ramp. Go left at stop sign (fire station right in front of you). Go to bottom of hill and go right on Grove Ave. At stop sign go straight across Hampton Road (past the post office) and then go straight again at the next stop sign crossing Rothesay Road. Go across the tracks and go right into the Rothesay Yacht Club. Park here and ice is located across the Kennebecasis River on Long Island right across from the yacht club.
Shawn B

Postby martha » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Ulysse wrote:It sounds like so much fun that I think I'll head down. Would a person be permited to participate with a few mike's hard. I only need one RESPONSIBLE person to tie my figure 8. Deja vue! Hope to see you guys there.

Oh man.. that was so funny.... You sure did need a designated belayer!

martha

Postby Ulysse » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:20 pm

Duno if i'm going to bring my stuff, got hurt and might be out of commision for some time. Got hit by a dagger from 55 m. But I am looking forward to the mikes.
Ulysse

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Just got back from Grand Manan ... definately the best ice in NB! I'll post photos on my site tomorrow. But the above posts are hilarious! I didn't expect that. Hey, anybody want to buy some Snargs? Great deal at $50 each. Awesome retro technology - just pound them into ice for a solid anchor. Order today for free shipping!

Hey Ulysse, please email me direct. I have a small request if you're coming down.
Joe

Postby Fred » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:41 am

Joe, I sent you a couple of photos of the Grand Manan trip.

For those who don't regularly go check Joe's Ice Climbing in NB website for conditions, I've added the same photos in the album on this website for you enjoyment.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Stef » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:01 pm

Hey Guys, send me (or post) the Grand Manan FA that went down last weekend and I'll update the topo and guide. I see someone (Joe?) got the pillar. Awesome work, it was too stout for me!

Cheers,

Stef.
Stef

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:32 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:
martha wrote:Joe I think I can see something on your lip...

is that bull poop???

Cara

I guess it did sound too good to be true. I was wondering why Reinhold Messner would be going to NB. Looks like i'm not going. Off to La Pomme D'or instead.

:shock: So does that mean no all you can eat Thai food? :?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby vbpad » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:39 pm

does anybody have an extra pair of size 10-11 mountaineering boots or ski boots i could borrow for this event? or an extra pair you have hanging around that you would be willing to sell?
vbpad

Postby Murph » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:06 pm

Is there anyone going from Fredericton that has extra room in their car and can give me a lift. Will chip in for gas money...
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby new to NB » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:54 pm

I should be able to give you a life I plan on going down by my self and (have a small SUV) on Saturday however I will be headding back to freddy around 3-4 Pm as I have a pervious engagment to attend let me know if you paln on going still I live in Beaver Dam however it is really close for me to ru n inn... and I have never been to Minsters Face at all sould the help might come in handy.......
new to NB

Postby Murph » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:07 pm

I’ve never been to Ministers Face either but I Google Mapped the Rothesay Yacht Club where they say to park (8 Wharf Road?) and it shouldn’t be to hard to find. I wouldn’t mind getting back into Fredericton at that time because I have plans Saturday evening. I could probably meet you at the Iriving on the corner of Regent and Prospect to save you from driving through the city?
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby new to NB » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:36 pm

sounds good I can pick you up in the city it is not big deal at all....

I know last year they did not start till like 12:30 or so but I would like to go down early and do some climbing befor every one shows up and it is a full wall...... so I was thinking of leaving at like 7:30 or 8:00 in there some where? why dont you give me a call later tonight or friday afternoon at home or work ....

home 454-0067
cell 447-9483
new to NB

Postby martha » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:20 pm

new to NB wrote:I know last year they did not start till like 12:30 or so but I would like to go down early and do some climbing befor every one shows up and it is a full wall...... so I was thinking of leaving at like 7:30 or 8:00 in there some where? why dont you give me a call later tonight or friday afternoon at home or work ....

home 454-0067
cell 447-9483

Just so you know... i'm fairly certain that you can't set top ropes without leading so unless you have a pretty solid leader with you, you will want to wait until there are others around.

Cheers.

martha

Next

Return to New Brunswick