Sport climbing areas in SE NB?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Sport climbing areas in SE NB?

Postby Crazy Dave » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:37 am

Hello everyone i'm just new to this forum and have been reading many of the post that are around. I've live in the maritimes most of my life but have done most of my climbing out west over the last 4 years, and i am just wondering about the local area here. Where and if there are any sport climbing places or if there are any places with potential to be bolted. Sorry i havn't had any ice experience but it sounds like many of you enjoy the sport very much. Take care and have a great day.. DJ :D
"A climb a day means you have more time than me! LOL"
"Calculated risk is the only thing that stands between Crazy and Stupid."
Crazy Dave

Postby martha » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:14 am

Hi there,

Check out http://www.beta-source.com

Fred's website. it has beta on all areas around here.

of interest to you would be St. Andrews for sport and a newer area called 'Sunny Side' but no online guide has been produced for this.

The new 'Climbing in NB' guide will be available sometime this spring hopefully.

cheers.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby max » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:45 am

Hey Dave,

I noticed you live in Sackville, so do I. Like you I have grown up in the maritimes and have done most of my climbing out west. For climbing around here we're limited but there are alot of boulders in Dorchester that I have found and started to develop. Lots of ice in the area too. There is suppose to be a cliff off the walker rd but I have yet to find it.
The best climbing is in Welsford mostly trad, which I love, but there are some great sport routes! Of course there is the boulders in halifax too!
Anyway when the weather drys up I'll post when I am going to the boulders so I can show you where they are.

Cheers,

Max
max

Postby Crazy Dave » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:46 pm

Hey max i'm actually looking to put up some routes around here, one down in the parrsboro area which has alot of discovering left to be done, and i'm would love to get out round here and look for some more. i may have found a good spot down near the point from wood point , srry can't remember the area that well. look forward to exploring the area, and ty for the beta site martha.. later
Crazy Dave

Postby max » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:54 pm

I live in Wood Point the rock is flowers all along the coast, I've walked it. Not even worth trying. http://www.beta-source.com is a sweet site I have looked at it 100s of times. The closed concentrated area to Sackville with bolts is Hampton and if you're driving that far may as well go to Welsford. I haven't been to Parsbaro to look at things but sounds like theres some stuff. There might be something in Middle Sackville but I still need to get in there to check it out.
max

Postby Fred » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:53 pm

Sunnyside in Welsford and Greenlaw in St-Andrews both have great sport climbing. Check it out.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Crazy Dave » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:19 am

Ya ty fred i was actually all over your beta source website yesterday and got really excited to go and check these places out this summer. I do want to find a place around here though too, because it's always nice to put in an afternoon climb on a nice day. lol.. There are some places i'm looking at. and if you want to get together sometime Max i would love to go look round the walker road exit for that spot you were talking about. Later all
:)
Crazy Dave

Return to New Brunswick