Dorchester Boulders March 23-25

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Dorchester Boulders March 23-25

Postby max » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:22 pm

With the long range weather looking good through until monday, I am going to head into the boulders for the weekend. If anyone is interested let me know so we can meet up. A few wire brushs and rubber boots are definitely needed.
max

Postby cory » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Yeah, maybe. I've got to take my cousins back to meet their parents in Moncton/Aulac sometime over the weekend. So depending on time and place of the rendez-vous I may be able to climb for a while. How can I reach you?

Cory
cory

Postby max » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:12 pm

you can call at 506-536-3006 or e-mail at fish_nbr21@yahoo.com. Hope to see ya this weekend.

max
max

Postby Elvis » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:13 pm

yo max,

go easy on the sandstone boulders with the brush. it does leave scaring...

thx

E.
Elvis

Postby max » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:27 pm

I've scubbed alot of these boulders already and things are fine. I am a firm deliver in leave no trace. The rock will only be scrubbed where needed anyway, no chipping or any of that. So damage will be as minimal anyway. Also it is my families property.
max

Postby Elvis » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:36 pm

Word...
Elvis

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:57 am

I've always used a plastic brisseled floor scrubbing brush on soft rock. It might take a scrub or two more than a wire brush, but unless the rock is really soft you don't need to worry about scratching or polishing the rock at all.

The one I have has a handle on the back of it so you don't scrape up your fingers and it allows you to put a lot of pressure into your scrubbing. It will even usually work on hard rock to get most stuff and then you can do a quick clean-up of the really stubborn stuff with a small wire brush.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby cory » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:02 pm

change of plans... I won't be coming to your area this weekend. Hopefully I'll get a chance before the bugs hatch.

As for the bristle discussion, I've found that stiff nylon bristles work better on sandstone, conglomerate, and limestone, since the lichens are less securely anchored, adn there is usually some sand/grit. The nylon bristle density works better than wire.

Cheers,

Cory
cory

Postby max » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:19 pm

I have a few tooth brushes that have come in handy I looked for so good nylon rubber brushed but could find any.

I was into the boulder today and srubbed 12-15 more potential problems and there is still a wack more. Also found some more boulders in the same area. Wicked pockets, huecos, crimps, cracks, sloppers and lots of mantel finishes.

It is gets better everytime I go in because I find something new.

Cory I'm only going to be here until the end of April but my brother knows there area. Also there are some guys from moncton coming in tomorrow so they'll know the area soon too.

Super stoked for some great bouldering. If anyone is interested we have a crew meeting at the Bridge street cafe in down town sackville at 11:30.
See ya there!

Max
max

Postby thicks » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:20 pm

wish i was going to be in town max, take some pics.
team garage
Tyler
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby max » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm bringing a video camera is how stoked I am! I wish you could be there, we srubbed some hard stuff. So amped.

max
max

Postby max » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:03 pm

Had a great day at the boulders, we completed about 8 problems and have a few other projects of the go. I would say nothing harder to much harder then V2-V3 but I'm not 100% on boulder ratings because I mostly climb trad. But whatever it was fun.
max

Postby Ken P » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:26 pm

Awesome. I'll be the Dorchester off and on through spring/summer, though the dates are unpredictable. Have any GPS coordinates by any chance. :D

Ken
[i]We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.[/i]
Ken P

Postby Crazy Dave » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:29 pm

hey max i should be around tomorrow if you are going out on sunday too, I'll check here late tonight and give you a call in the AM if ya don't mind. you can reach me on my e-mail climibing2bfree@yahoo.ca
"A climb a day means you have more time than me! LOL"
"Calculated risk is the only thing that stands between Crazy and Stupid."
Crazy Dave

Postby max » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:11 pm

Sorry no co-ordinates. Not totally sure about bouldering tomorrow dave better if you call in the morning around 8. Might be going hiking in Fundy.
max
max

Postby max » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:13 pm

There is lots of potential for harder route but we are trying to get all the obvious, easy to clean stuff first.
max

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:41 am

max wrote:I looked for some good nylon rubber brushed but could find any.

I think I found mine in the cleaning supplies at the store.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Anonymous » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:32 am

chossmonkey wrote:
max wrote:I looked for some good nylon rubber brushed but could find any.

I think I found mine in the cleaning supplies at the store.

strange place for them.

try the dollar store... you can get packs of 4 for a buck! :)
Anonymous

Postby Mike D » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Max ... It looks like you can forget the toothbrush and round up a snow shovel! I planned to head to Cherry Burton tomorrow afternoon but with the snow, I guess it is off? Dumb question ... but I assume you are not bothering?
Mike

max wrote:I have a few tooth brushes that have come in handy I looked for so good nylon rubber brushed but could find any.

I was into the boulder today and srubbed 12-15 more potential problems and there is still a wack more. Also found some more boulders in the same area. Wicked pockets, huecos, crimps, cracks, sloppers and lots of mantel finishes.

It is gets better everytime I go in because I find something new.

Cory I'm only going to be here until the end of April but my brother knows there area. Also there are some guys from moncton coming in tomorrow so they'll know the area soon too.

Super stoked for some great bouldering. If anyone is interested we have a crew meeting at the Bridge street cafe in down town sackville at 11:30.
See ya there!

Max
Mike D

Return to New Brunswick