May Long weekend

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

May Long weekend

Postby martha » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:48 am

I know it is a long ways away.....

but I'm getting horny for rock season.

Shawn, denise, are you guys planning on going to North Conway again for the long weekend in May? I'd like to get in on that business again. :)

Maybe this year there will be more climbing and less rain!!!

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mathieu » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:48 am

Squamish anyone???
mathieu

Postby Ulysse » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:25 am

I will be leaving for squamish sometime at the end of the first week in may but first I woudl like to climb just 2-3 days in the canmore area i.e. chinamans peak and the east face of babel from there I would like to try to get in the bugs for a couple of days, interested in climbing on the s.w. face of snowpatch and the north face of north howser tower (the later would have some nice 10-15 pitch mixed alpine routes...after a couple of days would like to head up towards squamish for 4-5 weeks (or Yosemite). if your interested in climbing in any of these areas let me know. Just trying to get in shape for the mid summer trips.

I have just purchased all new lightweight gear ie BD firstlight tent 2.9 lbs, titanium cookset at 9 oz ect ect...so this would make any of the long hikes in a joke. especialy with a light rack and 8.5 mm ropes. anyway if your interested keep me posted.

:D :D :D summer is almost here :D :D :D
Ulysse

Postby mvautour » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:27 am

Ulysse,

I know this is a bit off topic, but...
The BD tent is sweet! I want to get my hands on one, but I don't believe they are available in Canada (because of fire regulations). Where did you get yours from? Did you have to pay duty?

Thanks,

Marcel
mvautour

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:46 pm

mathieu wrote:Squamish anyone???

i'm planning on hitting squamish in june/july if you're interested...

Postby mathieu » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:19 pm

Its a bit too early for me to commit to dates. but come early april I should have a schedule down which will give me 5 1/2 days off at a time
mathieu

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:21 pm

mathieu wrote:Its a bit too early for me to commit to dates. but come early april I should have a schedule down which will give me 5 1/2 days off at a time

yah, too early for me to commit to dates too... but end of june/ july/ beginning of august is when i'm thinking. will be going for two weeks, so it might work out that we could hook up for a few pitches.

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:46 pm

How's the Squamish weather at the beginning of July? I have a wedding to go to in Calgary (being in the wedding party and all) but could always re-org the trip to have a week in Squamish before.

Nothing like having a battered climber in wedding pictures!
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:34 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:How's the Squamish weather at the beginning of July? I have a wedding to go to in Calgary (being in the wedding party and all) but could always re-org the trip to have a week in Squamish before.

not too sure about squamish, but i've been in vancouver at that time of year and it was just beautiful... the odd bit of rain, but hey, that's BC for you. mostly sun though...

bd tent

Postby ulysse » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:27 pm

I got it from http://www.backcountry.com they curently have them on sale for 240.00 usd
ulysse

Postby Ulysse » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:09 pm

Squamish is good but you guys should consider the bugaboos. there are more multipitch climbs on snowpatch alone than the entire chief. its quite warm in the squish versus nice moderate temps in the alpine (average 1.98 degres cooler per 1000 feet elevation) ie 8100 feet elevation at applebee campground. the only drawback is supplies, the nearest full service town in radium 2 hours hike and 80 km of driving away.

There is even lots of bouldering in the area too
Ulysse

Postby mitchleblanc » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:35 pm

Mountain_Marc wrote:How's the Squamish weather at the beginning of July? I have a wedding to go to in Calgary (being in the wedding party and all) but could always re-org the trip to have a week in Squamish before.

Dude, squamish is perfect all summer, all fall, and all spring. We climbed (a few winters ago) right up until november, I think? and it was perfect temps. Never too cold, and definitely never too hot. Even in summer the mornings are perfect.. shade from the Chief (dont' climb it, just use it for shade) all morning...

Very nice. Do it, Do it.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:27 pm

Ulysse wrote:<roboticTwang> (average 1.98 degres cooler per 1000 feet elevation) </roboticTwang>

lmao

good suggestion ulysse; the bugs are on my list.

Postby martha » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:27 am

Wow was this topic every hijacked!!

well, I'll be in Squamish this summer also. Probably around June/July. I'll be in Vancouver for work.

Mat, I'll be in Calgary again soon (hopefully July/August) so that I can make a Bugs trip. I can only assume that you and Mr. Large are in with me.

I'll know solid dates once I work it out with my clients, but the plan right now is to make it to both Vancouver and Calgary in the next 8 months.

Yahhooooooooo............
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to New Brunswick