climbing in welsford

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

climbing in welsford

Postby A visitor » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:27 pm

Was out climbing in welsford just a couple of weeks ago and man are the
grades ever soft---if Pink Panther was in the gunks it would be 5.8
the same goes for the rest of the climbs in the area :lol:
A visitor

You're clever

Postby mitchleblanc » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:36 pm

That's cute, but I think it's more like the gunks is undergraded.

I've been climbing all over the country, and the US, and I think the grades are right on, generally.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Re: climbing in welsford

Postby PaulB » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:57 am

A visitor wrote:Was out climbing in welsford just a couple of weeks ago and man are the grades ever soft....

It didn't take long for these guys to make an appearance :mrgreen:

PaulB

Postby A local » Fri Oct 29, 2004 2:22 pm

Welsford has never been called soft. If anything visitors usually find us to be sandbagged. I find grades to be pretty consistent with most other North East trad areas. And stiffer than Western climbs (Red Rocks, Squamish, Calgary-LL - Yosemite being the exception). You must have had a bang on day to call Pink Panther 5.8. 9+ maybe but no way 8. But...ahhhh...yes...you probably were TOP ROPING it.
A local

Postby Fred » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:28 pm

while we're on this topic... I have to add...

Central Scrutinizer is the softest grade in Welsford by a long shot. There's no way that route is 5.11a. It's an easy 5.10 at best.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:36 pm

If your serious, Fred, then a note should be made in your new routes list so that whoever decides to put out a new guidebook can correct the grade. One more nice climb that people like me who are only upto 5.10's could try... otherwise listed at 5.11a, I'd generally leave it be.

Fred wrote:while we're on this topic... I have to add...

Central Scrutinizer is the softest grade in Welsford by a long shot. There's no way that route is 5.11a. It's an easy 5.10 at best.
Andrew

Postby Fred » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:44 pm

Andrew,

go try it out and you'll quickly find out if I'm being sarcastic or not. :D

peace
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Grading huh!!

Postby Ropeguy » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:32 pm

Hey why don't we just do away with grading.......!! Either you can climb the stupid rock or you can't!! That way you don't have to spend anymore time wondering about numbers and you can put more effort into getting to the top and not falling on your ass.....Something to think about! :roll:
Ropeguy

PS

Postby Ropeguy » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:37 pm

How about this.......Instead of grading by difficulty you can grade by bodyfat.Add your fatmass to the grade and that will tell you how hard it will be. A 5.7 with 28% body fat is alot harder that a 5.13a with 4%!!!

Last one dead is a sissy!!
Ropeguy

grades, who needs them

Postby mathieu » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:24 pm

I say we adopt my grading scheme.
mathieu

Postby a visitor » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:44 pm

I had gone to rockclimbing.com to get info on NB climbing and climbed at
Minkey, Joe's and some other area I could quite figure out--a bit hard to figure out with just a print of the online guidebook. The climb you guys
mentioned "central s." was bang on for the grade 11a? but lots of the
others were soft. Of the dozen or so climbs we did I would have to say
1/2 of them were overgraded. On another note the rock just eats gear and that is probably why it felt so easy......anyway, peace mates.............

P.S. Regardless of the grades, it's an awesome crag. We had lots of fun. Hope to be back next year...
a visitor

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:53 am

I can't wait to feel ready to lead stuff higher than 5.7 on minkey's main wall... if it ever stops raining :)

a visitor wrote:I had gone to rockclimbing.com to get info on NB climbing and climbed at
Minkey, Joe's and some other area I could quite figure out--a bit hard to figure out with just a print of the online guidebook. The climb you guys
1/2 of them were overgraded. On another note the rock just eats gear and that is probably why it felt so easy......anyway, peace mates.............

P.S. Regardless of the grades, it's an awesome crag. We had lots of fun. Hope to be back next year...
Andrew

Postby martha » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:25 am

a visitor wrote:I had gone to rockclimbing.com to get info on NB climbing and climbed at

Yeah, Fred was being sarcastic about Central scrutinizer. it is solid for its grade, but I do think you are smoking something if you think the grades in Welsford are soft.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Brent » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:03 pm

I have done enough climbing in North America to assure you that for the most part grades in Welsford are accurate +/- a letter grade on a few, maybe. Pink Panther is not 5.8 and Central Scrutinizer is a hard 5.11a . Hope you had fun looks like I am in for an ass kicking when I go to the Gunks.
Brent

Return to New Brunswick