Parlee Brook

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Parlee Brook

Postby David » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:48 am

Anyone interested in joining a Nova Scotia climber desperate to try his luck on the icy walls of Parlee Brook on Sunday? I am in St Andrews for meetings on Friday and Saturday and would like to get a few hours in at Parlee Brook on the way home on Sunday. Let me know if you're interested (nssalmo@yahoo.ca).

David
David

Postby martha » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:57 pm

I don't know if anyone has been into parlee recently, but my guess is that the road isn't plowed so be prepared for a long slug through the snow.

Parlee conditions are going to start getting really good in the next few weeks with the warm temps.

woooooooohooooooooo!!!!!!!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby David » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:04 pm

I understand there is a short cut into Parlee Brook. Any idea where it is?
David

Postby Fred » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:10 pm

Nope. There are two different approaches but there's nothing but a big long hike either way unless you have a snowmobile. Unless someone is holding out on us and knows a quicker way. :evil:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Parlee This Sunday

Postby peter » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:59 am

Dave is the Eveready Bunny of approaches, so just try to stay in his tail wind. That is what I do, anyway.

Cara, Pat, Joe, Fred, Matt: if anyone is looking for a pleasant and competent climbing partner this Sunday, make the trip.

I wanted to go but couldn't swing child care at 4:00 a.m. on a Sunday (go figure).

Peter
peter

Postby sb » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:38 am

Nope...no short cuts. Upper way via Lisson Sett Rd is longer distance wise depending on plowing (my guess is they are done logging and no longer plowing). Lower way shorter but similar time wise due to hilly approach and slog up the lower ravine. Lower much prettier if that matters and shorter if you are doing Hull Holmes Falls. Either way showshoes are highly recommended. And I expect the bottom of the ravine to be plugged with snow so snowshoes would make getting around down in easier as well (kinda a pain if you are raping in though).
P.S. If you are going in Parlee Brook Rd, please be courteous and don't park in front of "the abbey". Park on or past the bridge and try to be quiet when passing the house. It is a public road you are travelling on incase he tries to tell you any different.
sb

Postby Joe » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:49 am

Also, on the Parlee Brook Road approach, there is no indicator for which drainage to take that will lead to the ice. There is just a clump of apple trees, so it might be difficult to find. The Lisson Settlement Road is more straight forward, and flatter. Parlee is wonderful, but not an easy place to pop in for a few hours. Welsford (Cochrane Lane or the Quarry) is a bit more user-friendly. I'd climb with you, but we're heading for Little Salmon area, an even more committing place. Good luck!
Joe

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:50 am

and I would suspect the Lisson way is harder to find now that it's clearcut. If you don't know where you are going.

:)
Fred
Site Admin

Postby SB » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:40 pm

Actually, when finding the drainage going in via Parlee Brook Road it looks different now. They did some logging this past summer and there is some clear cutting now. So once past Ken Holt's camp (below Hull Holmes), keep going straight and cross the little ditch and follow the trail. Once you get into the clear cut on the left hand hill, follow the first drainage up and to your left. Still a bit overgrown with alders and the drainage may not be easily recognized at the first depending on snow depths...but not as bad to find as it used to be. And when leaving PB Rd the trail you follow past "the abbey" actually has a road sign on it and it should be a packed snowmobile/atv trail (can't remember the name of the road...sorry). And ditto...sorry can't meet you as will be in LSR.
SB

Postby parle pic » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:05 pm

[img]http:image_freudian.homeip.net/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=29[img]
parle pic

Postby ulysse » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:05 pm

oh well I tried
ulysse

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:22 pm

[url]http://www.climbnb.mine.nu/phpbb2/album_page.php?pic_id=29[url]

Postby mitchleblanc » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:33 pm

Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby Fred » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:42 am

Check out these photos on Joe Kennedy's "Ice Climbing in NB" website". I had never seen this page untill now. Nice collection Joe.
NB Ice Photos

Also, if some of you are having trouble placing html links in your messages etc... you'll notice that there is an example of the proper syntax (2 examples) when you hover over the 'add URL' button. You can either show the full URL or show a text with the hidden link as I have done above. Enjoy
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:05 pm

where is this route? Is it in LS?

"Rain Dance Country"

Also, "Uncomfortably Numb" looks bad-ass! :shock:
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Joe » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:40 am

Rain Dance is on the Little Salmon River, just right of Alaska Flashback. And Uncomfortably Numb is at St. Martins, near the Quaco Lighthouse.
Joe

Return to New Brunswick