Climbing in Long Island

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Climbing in Long Island

Postby Hum » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:19 pm

Wow.... I just came back from an "Amazing" bouldering trip in Long Island. The place was called Wildwood State Park.. Found it on the web. Found the boulders that were described..first was ten foot tall boulder with no features.. but lots of tick marks.. so these boys who did this and called it a V6 must be a buncha sandbaggers... or their on crack.. the "nice" overhang described was two - three foor wide, Maybe. Most of u taller folk may be able to reach the top from the sit start ...I on the other hand had to go to an intermediate crimper.. all in all ...suntanning on the beach was Wicked today..

might as well drive the extra few (8) hours to go the Gunks...
Hum

you must have me confused with someone else

Postby mathieu » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:49 pm

uh, I think New Brunswick is in Canada not a city in New Jersey. I was confused for a minute, thinking that Long Island was somewhere in NB. Hum your an engineer but it seems your having difficulty with geography.

JKH (just kidding hum) sounds like the weather on the east is better (warmer) than out here.

So i'm still not sure, did you get that V6?

Cheerio

Mat
mathieu

Re: Climbing in Long Island

Postby martha » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:18 am

Hum wrote:might as well drive the extra few (8) hours to go the Gunks...

You know it is trad climbing in the gunks right Hum??

haah....but the bouldering kicks ass too.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Hum » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:05 pm

My Bad.. I take it all back..
that short walk was soooo worth it..
25 foot boulder.. two overhanging sides.. 15 degrees on one.. lots of crimpers cool features and even a huge handhold right in the middle of it

btw.. the locals out here all claim that the popular pastime at the Gunks is Bouldering..

But what do I know.. I have never been, seen or looked the place up cause I always assumed it was Just TRad..
Hum

weird species invades Shawanagunk preserve

Postby mathieu » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:41 pm

well Martha it should be noted that the Gunks have been overun by a crowd of boys in the 15 to 25 range sporting kakhi pants (usually in the light brown color), no shirt, wear tuques in middle of july, for some reason no visible body hair, carrying large squares on their back and speak a weird lingo with words such as "bustup", "gaston", "pump", "crank" and "sloper". Subjects of conversation is mathematical problems, the postal office, architecture and something about blind people and colours, but can't really understand the context .

For example: "Dude I sent that V8 problem onsight, I just couldn't pull the roof on the redpoint but I came back fresh and busted up to the sidepull and cranked hard to the gaston then threw up a heel hook to fight the pump and slapped that sloper, dude it was dope".

Also have tendency to hang out in a 9:1 ratio of men:women. Well at least they've got the upper hand on alpine climbers which the ratio seems closer to 50:1.

Mat "I can still climb V1" B.
mathieu

Postby martha » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:56 pm

Oh, I know all about the bouldering in the Gunks. some of the first problems were put up by none other than trad climbing legend lynn hill!!!

yippeee.

All I'm saying is why boulder in the gunks..unless at the end of a day of long trad climbing...if by chance you run out of beer. otherwise...just spend your evening at the multiple abuse area.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

I know why...

Postby mitchleblanc » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:19 am

martha wrote:All I'm saying is why boulder in the gunks..

Because bouldering *anywhere* is better than trad climbing anywhere!

ps: Martha sucks.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby martha » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:07 pm

Mitch, it isn't our fault that you are too much of a pansy to tie on a rope.

Its okay. I understand.

xoxoxo love you sweetums.

martha

Postby Hum » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:01 pm

I don;t know about u Mitch.,. but Trad sux so bad I don;t even remember how to tie a figure 7
Hum

Postby mitchleblanc » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:16 pm

Hum wrote:I don;t know about u Mitch.,. but Trad sux so bad I don;t even remember how to tie a figure 7

I hear you dude. I went trad climbing once and they were always talking about their nuts or something, and some sort of sailing term... "anchor"? Wtf? I didn't get it. Then I got pumped out on this crazy 5.8, trying to get one of these metal wedge thingies out, so I came back down and just worked on my one-finger lockoffs for the rest of day.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Return to New Brunswick