Welsford Access 2007 Update

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Welsford Access 2007 Update

Postby john » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:13 am

As most of you now know from the previous post (see Sticky), Welsford Cochrane Lane cliffs has been temporarily closed to climbing access. This is due to nesting of Perigrin Falcons, a species at risk, in the area.

This closure is only temporary until CFB Gagetown biologists finalize a plan for the protection of the nest site, in the form of an exclusion zone for climbing activities. The exact details of the exclusion zone and duration of exclusion are expected to be finalized shortly. After discussion with the Base I think the approximate zones will be very fair to both climbers and the Falcons, approximately 200m from March to August, depending on yearly nesting activities (details pending). Once an exclusion zone details are finalized I will post on this forum.

I promise to provide details, as they are made available to me. I urge all climbers to respect the closure until details are finalized and to also respect the exclusion zone once established.

For your information there will be a short segment on CBC this evening at 6pm regarding this issue.

John Bowles
President UNB Rock anc Ice Climbing Club
john

Return to New Brunswick