Welsford climbing access

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Welsford climbing access

Postby john » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:46 pm

Well Guys,

Good news, I spent the morning at the Base working out issues regarding UNB Rock and Ice Club access to climbing on military property. The issue has become very complicated but, I expect once we have it sorted out, it will not become an issue again in the future. The Base and I are going to work out a more permanent arrangement for our club's use of the Welsford climbing areas that works for both parties. The best news is that from all this we should be able to also secure access to an additional area (Area 41 ie Sunnyside and Bald Peak) not currently covered by of existing permit.

Setting everything up is a paper work issue, but the Base is happy to have us there and wants to sort out the issue as quickly as possible. Please realize that some time will be needed for everything to go through, as far as a long term sustainable arrangement. This process is complicated by the Peregrine Falcon nest site in the area, but I think we resolved that issue somewhat today, I will comment on that further once I hear the official outcome. Suffice to say we should be able to maintain access to both area 40 and 41 year round with some restrictions on Area 40 (Cochrane Lane) in nesting season. Details will be forthcoming, once known. For now the arrangement we have made is the following:

Access to Area 41, ie Sunnyside and Bald Peak is allowed for UNB Rock and Ice Club members, but we must follow the Call IN and Call Out system we have been utilizing for the past two years. Parking is to be off the highway in the cell tower pull in, but please do not block access to the maintenance road. This will give us an area to climb in while we finalize the Area 40 access.

Please respect the temporary closure of Area 40. So you know multiple daily patrols are in the area monitoring activity. Please greet them with respect if questioned on use of Area 41 and do not use area 40 (Cochrane Lane) as this will jeopardize future access.

I have to say, I am very happy with the outcome of today's meetings. The Base is truly trying to work with us to secure a mutually beneficial arrangement. They have been very accommodating with my request for temporary access thus far, and I am confident that once all the issues are worked out we will have secure long term privileges.

Thank you for your co-operation,

John Bowles
President UNB Rock anc Ice Club
john

Return to New Brunswick