Visiting Climber from New Zealand

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Visiting Climber from New Zealand

Postby chucky_clearwater » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:32 am

Hi there,

I'm hopefully coming to New Brunswick for a work trip from about mid september to mid october. I'll be based up at CFB Gagetown and won't have any transport.

If I actually make it up to Canada, I'd really like to get out and about for a little climbing/adventuring. Does anyone have any good info on climbers/clubs/areas that I could team up with and/or visit?

I enjoy easy multi-pitch trad routes and a little bit of easy Ice. Also keen on Scrambling, Hiking and Canoeing.

Fingers crossed the work trip goes ahead!!

Chucky
chucky_clearwater

Re: Visiting Climber from New Zealand

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:55 am

You are in luck. CFB Gagetown has an indoor climbing facility and you will be living 30 minutes away from the best crag in the province with over 300 routes, most of which are trad. There is also a climbing gym at the University of New Brunswick about 15 minutes from Gagetown. This website in construction because we just moved into a new house but in the near future there will be some links in the toolbar overhead. Here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.beta-source.com
http://www.climbnb.com
http://www.climbnb.mine.nu
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/6319/
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chucky_clearwater » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:12 pm

Thanks for the links.. Its a little hard to get a feel for the scene from just a few websites though, so I have some questions...

Are there many active climbing individuals and/or clubs?
Does CFB Gagetown have an outdoors club? (any contacts?)
Will my timing be ok for climbing rock, or is it starting to become 'mixed' by that time of year?

Basically my hope is to get in touch with some kind people with whom i can tag along and do some adventures. I can easily bring a reasonable amount of my own kit, but partners and transport, i need to find before hand..

Cheers,

Chucky

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/kiwi_canyons
chucky_clearwater

Postby chucky_clearwater » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:14 pm

I saw mention of a couple of two - three pitch routes on the cheekstone area at Welsford... what sort of grade are they?

Any suggestions for multipitch 5.6 and below?

Chucky
chucky_clearwater

Postby martha » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:36 pm

There won't be any ice in New Brunswick until at least the end of November, so you are all clear on the rock. September is actually one of our best months for Rock climbing.

The best club to get in contact with would be the UNB Rock and Ice club, but really, just posting on this forum and checking in with us is good. We have to drive past Gagetown to get to Welsford so would gladly pick you up most anytime out climbing. There are about 20 or so regular outdoor climbers in Fredericton and about the same in the Saint John area. There are lots more climbers though that just climb inside and/or don't get outside very often.

There are multi Pitch routes in Welsford ranging from 5.6 to 5.11. All trad/mixed (some bolts)

Lots and lots of climbing to do here. :)

Cheers.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby chucky_clearwater » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:05 pm

Thanks for the offers Cara, If I make it up there, I'll be keen to take you up on a lift and a climb or two :)

Any other suggestions for good hiking/canoeing clubs/locations/contacts??

I'd love to get up Mt Katahdin whilst I am in the Area, as well as do an overnight Canoe trip..

Chucky
chucky_clearwater

Postby martha » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:11 am

September is a great time of year for Katahdin too. There won't be any snow until October usually so the hikes are all still open. It is a gorgeous spot. I am not sure of any hiking clubs, but there must be one somewhere.

Lots of Canoeing. Depending on how much time you have, there is an amazing 3 day canoe trip in Kejimikujik National Park in Nova Scotia. You'd be about a 6 hour drive from there but they have canoes for rent etc. Those are my stompping grounds growing up... Still one of my favorite areas and fall would be ideal because there would be no bugs or ticks!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby PaulB » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:00 pm

martha wrote:There are about 20 or so regular outdoor climbers in Fredericton and about the same in the Saint John area.

Wow, I would have thought that 11 years after I left NB that the number of active climbers in Welsford would be larger. Forty odd people with Cochrane Lane to themselves (and probably only a dozen or so on any given day) sure beats rubbing elbows with a couple hundred in Squamish.
PaulB

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:20 pm

I have traveled lots for climbing and I still love coming back to Welsford because the climbing is stellar and there are absolutely no crowds.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick