Horses caught red handed!

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Horses caught red handed!

Postby Andrew » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:00 pm

horse2.jpg
Horses and signs
horse2.jpg (48.58 KiB) Viewed 586 times

horse1.jpg
Horses and signs
horse1.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 583 times

A few weeks back, Gagetown rangers/troops approached a number of climbing parties one day checking to see if we'd signed in/called in and such. They let us know that some of the signs which said to stay away from the birds had been damaged and ripped off/down. I think they were referring to the two signs on either side of the yellow metal sign at the start of the farmer's field.

I was up working on a new route on Sunday and these signs were in perfect condition.

Tuesday I went up with my buddy Jim and when we started up the field, a 'gang' of horses started to follow us slowly. When we got to the sign, we noticed that they horses started biting and pushing at the front and backs of the wooden signs with plastic covered paper notices from CFB Gagetown. The signs had already been ripped and one had the wooden backing ripped off onto the ground. The horses continued to bite and nose at the remains of the one sign still standing and also the ones on the ground.

I took a few photos. None show the horses biting at the still standing sign, though we did see them do that, I didn't have my camera ready at that time. Here are two photos showing the horses near the signs and touching them, etc.

The reason for the post is to show CFB Gagetown that it was most likely not climbers who damaged the signs, but rather the horses or other animals.

It's a working theory with some proof.

Hope this helps Gagetown feel a little better about us and not think that we climbers would lash out against the restrictions and tear up signs. Maybe the horses were just hungry and curious :P

Andrew
Andrew

Return to New Brunswick