Flying Falcon

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Flying Falcon

Postby STeveA » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:57 pm

I saw the Falcon chicks flying around on Friday so hopefully that means the cliff can be opened up. Anyone have any info on this?
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Re: Flying Falcon

Postby Fred » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:15 pm

I saw three of the squeeky things flying together this weekend but I wouldn't know the difference between the young and the old ones. Could have been two adults chassing another bird.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:38 pm

Does anyone else smell a race for "Peer Pressure" this fall? I'm looking forward to it. yee haw!
Fred
Site Admin

Postby STeveA » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:16 am

The birds I saw were all Falcons. It looked like 2 smaller and one adult but I cannot be sure. I am sure Joey will be checking it out.
STeveA

Postby Elvis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:27 am

Same thing was observed on the 28th of Aug 07. They where out all day honing there skills...

Steve I was up on Pink Panther. Although I did manage to build a half decent gear anchor on the ledge (top of first pitch) I was wondering if you have ever considered having a fix anchor in this location. The slung blocks on the left are loose and hollow, and I doubt they would hold a factor 2. Looks like you could get a pin anchor under the roof (where I did find some gear) and have the belayer sit on the ledge or better yet a nice set of ring bolts just above this roof at eye level. All the routes above this ledge are great and deserve to be climbed more often and I think they would with a safer anchor option at the ledge (just my opinion though).

Steve I think you where part of the FA party, any comments/thoughts.

E
Marc

Postby Stef » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:24 pm

One of the military guys out patrolling this weekend said he would call someone (base biologist? Joe?) about opening up the other side again. I saw a least three falcons zooming around this weekend, so presumably they must have fledged by now?

Re. Pink Panther; those climbs are usually done in one pitch.

Cheers,

S.
Stef

Postby STeveA » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:29 pm

I have no problem with an anchor on the ledge. I always do the climbs in 2 pitches so it would certainly help me.
STeveA

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:40 pm

I think that ledge should be kept natural. Most climbers do all of these routes in one pitch.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Elvis » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:51 pm

Steve et all, thanx for the info, I'm going back to try it in one pitch witch seems to make more sense. Can you rappel from the top with one 60m rope?

E.
Marc

Postby motanb » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:41 pm

yes...a 60 m will get you down safely.
Thomas

"When you get to the top.... Keep climbing"

~ JaphyRyder
motanb

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:43 pm

At the top you can traverse a few feet right to a bolt station for "The Way Life Should Be" 30m rappell.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Matt Peck » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:23 pm

I also think that the ledge should remain natural. I lead Pink Panther earlier this season for the first time and did it in one pitch with no problems. any rope drag that I accumulated was solely due to the main roof, and you'd get that either way if you didn't protect it well. As long as you use longer runners on the first pitch, your rope drag is minimal. I really don't see the point in putting bolts in here as there are natural options availible. However, bolts on the ledge above salt and pepper might be considered for sometime in the future, as that tree is beginning to show signs of abuse, and rope abraision while bringing up a second there/toproping is an issue. I suspect that this isn't a new observation.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Return to New Brunswick