BOULDERING IN NB???????

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

BOULDERING IN NB???????

Postby stew271 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:33 am

Hey. Looking for any places to boulder in NB. No Matter where it is with Directions. If people can help me out that would be great. Thanks alot guys. I appreciate it. pls email me with your bouldering spots at stew27@gmail.com

Stewart
stew271

Re: BOULDERING IN NB???????

Postby Adam » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:59 am

all in all it's pretty limited here in new brunswick but there are some gems.

- there's some bouldering at sunnyside (welsford) and greenlaw (st andrews) - see new climbing guide for directions to these places

- in welsford on the slopes of the old ski hill...

- some in mcadam that i don't think i'd remember how to get back to, but was really good stuff.

- in fredericton at the UNB woodlot (limited but fun if you're in the area)

- some newly developed but slightly chossy stuff down in dorchester...

- sea side bouldering on sharp rock at cape spencer outside SJ
Adam

Postby stew271 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:01 pm

Thanks alot. Good to know. Can you pick up the guides in Moncton anywhere???

Stewart
stew271

Postby Pierre » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:54 pm

- some newly developed but slightly chossy stuff down in dorchester...

I'm not quite sure I would call it chossy... I would say there is limited bouldering in Dorchester.

Since your from Moncton I would have to say your best place to Boulder would be Dorchester followed by a place in Hillsbrough and then I would have to say Beaumount.

Hopefully soon there will be a indoor bouldering facility in Moncton.

Email me if you would like details: pierre.arsenault at gmail.com

Pierre
Pierre

Postby cory » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:12 pm

I'd hardly call the cape spencer stuff sharp, AM. There are some sharp holds, yes, but the majority is far kinder on the skin than any of the granite in the province. Best to time it with the tides, stew. The cape is just outside Saint John, and I'm usually up for showing folks around the quality problems. best way to reach me is phone 64-PROTO
cory

Postby martha » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 pm

stew271 wrote:Thanks alot. Good to know. Can you pick up the guides in Moncton anywhere???

Stewart

The new climbing guide is currently only available only at the Radical Edge in Fredericton.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Andrew » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:15 pm

Bring a friend an check out Cape Spencer. There are a lot of problems in a fairly small area. I'm not a boulderer, but it seems to be a pretty cool spot.

Maybe someone can help me out on this but I think there may be an online guide for Cape Spencer.

http://www.beta-source.com << Fred's climbing page.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:07 am

what a bunch of whiners! :P

no you're right, cape spencer is not that sharp... i just have memories of sharp holds.

but dorchester is definitely chossy in spots. there are some problems on solid rock, but a lot of it has a little conglomerate in it. unless you saw more than i did.
Adam

Postby Pierre » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:30 am

but dorchester is definitely chossy in spots. there are some problems on solid rock, but a lot of it has a little conglomerate in it. unless you saw more than i did.

Maybe we're not talking about the same spot.. Are you talking about along the coast line or some old rock quarry? Because if that's the case I would agree with ya.

BTW I'm talking about off Cherry Burton Road. I'm not saying the bouldering is great but at least it's something and is by far the best stuff I've seen around Moncton.

Pierre
Pierre

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:38 am

i'm talking about the stuff Max Fisher found on his dad's land.
Adam

Postby Pierre » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:02 am

I guess we're talking about the same stuff... Maybe chossy is a relative term! Anyways I figure there is a about 20 some problems there with some potential for more.

BTW: it's not actually on Max Fisher dad's land.
Pierre

Postby stew271 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:07 am

Pierre Did you get my email??
stew271

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:09 am

Pierre wrote:I guess we're talking about the same stuff... Maybe chossy is a relative term! Anyways I figure there is a about 20 some problems there with some potential for more.

well like i said, there's some solid rock there but some of it is pretty crumbly... choss is better than nothing haha
Adam

Postby Pierre » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:51 am

stew wrote:Pierre Did you get my email??

Yes I did stew... I reply back to you shortly. It might be easier if I show you than give you directions.

trad_reborn wrote:well like i said, there's some solid rock there but some of it is pretty crumbly... choss is better than nothing haha

The place get old very quickly.. Trad_reborn how long has it been since you've been out to Dorchester? ( You may not recognize the place ) A few people have put a lot work in developing the place.. it's amazing what the moss hides. It's definitely not a travel bouldering destination but at least it something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74644218@N00/sets/72157600058917784/
Pierre

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:49 pm

Pierre wrote:The place get old very quickly.. Trad_reborn how long has it been since you've been out to Dorchester? ( You may not recognize the place ) A few people have put a lot work in developing the place.. it's amazing what the moss hides. It's definitely not a travel bouldering destination but at least it something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74644218@N00/sets/72157600058917784/

well was in the spring i believe. ground was still wet... i helped max cut a trail to most of the boulders that he knew about. i guess you guys have done lots of work there, glad to hear it.
Adam

Postby tillo m. » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:37 am

hi trad and stew - I live near Dorchester - if you are going to show stew the spot, could I tag along?
tillo m.

Postby Adam » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:52 am

tillo m. wrote:hi trad and stew - I live near Dorchester - if you are going to show stew the spot, could I tag along?

sorry, i won't be heading there any time soon... that's a 2.5 hour drive from my place! lots of quality rock a lot closer than that :)
Adam

Postby tillo m. » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:33 am

oops - sorry - I guess it was Pierre who was offering to show stew the place. I only live about 10 min away so it would be a good place to start.
tillo m.

Postby Pierre » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:42 am

tillo m. wrote:oops - sorry - I guess it was Pierre who was offering to show stew the place. I only live about 10 min away so it would be a good place to start.

I don't mind showing ya - Maybe next weekend I'll head out to Dorchester for a quick trip. I would make the offer this weekend but since it's a long weekend I'm trying to get out and climb some where better than Dorchester.

Pierre
Pierre

Postby tillo m. » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:26 am

sounds good - i'm free all next weekend - maybe stew can make it too?hope you find some good rock this weekend.
tillo m.

Return to New Brunswick