Where is the Boulder in Dorchester NB?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Where is the Boulder in Dorchester NB?

Postby stew271 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Hey,
I am Looking for directions to get to the boulders in Dorchester. Can Any one help me out. Thanks. Email me at stew27@gmail.com. Or Post a reply thanks alot,
Stewart

Everyone here is very helpful YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
stew271

Re: Where is the Boulder in Dorchester NB?

Postby max » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:23 pm

When Dorchester is dry it is good and there are some really fun problems there. When it is wet, like at sandstone and conglomerite rock, it is fragile. Before I left there was 40 problems with potential for more. If you're a fareweather climber and not into exploring and cleaning then it is not the place for you. Developing new areas takes time and breaking holds of is part of the game. Alittle more time and Dorchester will be cleaned up better. It's not going to ever be world class but that means there is no one around so enjoy it because when you head to squamish for the first time you're definitely going to wait in a huge line for 90% of the good problems and good routes. Adam if you get there again try it when it's dry whe had a really sweet session there before I headed out west on some great dry solid rock. How is the season out there? I've been doing some fun alpine climbing this summer, I also hit up Horn Lake which is a sick sport climbing area and is a must for canadian climbers craving 30% overhanging Limestone! Hope everyone is having a safe climbing season! Take care all I'll be home in Oct- Nov for 3 weeks. Max
max

Postby Adam » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:17 am

ok ok... maybe i was too harsh.. i *was* there on a cold wet day so i definitely did not see the place at its best...
Adam

Postby Pierre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:12 am

Hey max... I think you might be exaggerating a bit about the potential of problems...

I was out one Thursday night this summer and had to wait in lines to climb :) Team Garage was out in full force one night.

I do think if your a boulder and live in Moncton this is most likely the best spot you'll find close to Moncton for bouldering. There is some potential for some more routes to go up in the area...

Stew and Tillo... If your interested in seeing the area this weekend let me know. I believe that I'm available either Sat. or Sun.

Pierre
Pierre

Postby Adam » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:00 am

i heard there was some sandstone out in hillsborough somewhere... though no idea where.... i believe Derek Smith might know where... though i don't know where he is anymore :roll:
Adam

Postby Pierre » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:22 am

heard there was some sandstone out in hillsborough somewhere... though no idea where.... i believe Derek Smith might know where... though i don't know where he is anymore :roll:

Yup... there is! But not as much as Dorchester. I was there scouting out the area in winter so never actually bouldered there. To me out of the three areas that I know about around Moncton Dorchester has the most to offer.

If you need directions email pierre dot arsenault at gmail dot com

Pierre
Pierre

Return to New Brunswick