looking for climbing partners

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

looking for climbing partners

Postby Meredith & Laurent » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:54 am

Hey, we're a couple in our twenties living in Saint John and looking for people to go climbing with on weekends. We don't have gear except shoes and harnesses, but we're keen to get a bit more experience and then invest in our own stuff. We'd love to hear from anyone who'd be interested to go out, especially at Cochrane Lane. We can drive, and make you laugh, and even feed you gourmet snacks.
Meredith & Laurent

Re: looking for climbing partners

Postby Adam » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:42 am

welcome to a new world :)

u should pick up some helmets ASAP. i've been hit a couple times this year and if i hadn't had mine on would have been HURTIN. just a couple weeks ago a block fell off joe's garage/stairway, granted a helmet wouldn't have helped by the sounds of it -- it sounded HUGE :) ... but the point stands.

there's a climbing wall at NBCC-SJ that is good for starting out on. u can learn lots there even if you can't make it out to welsford.

Adam
Adam

Postby jibs » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:49 am

Hey Folks -

I'm heading to Cochrane Lane today with a friend - join up with us if you like... I'll leave a note as to where we'll be at the sign-in box, which is along the trail... just follow the trail through the farmer's field behind the parked cars, up through the woods. I drive a green echo.

Good luck!

Jamie Simpson
jibs

Postby Meredith & Laurent » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:12 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for your answers!

Concerning helmets, this is a good advice, I think we have got some of them from speed skating gear. That should do it we reckon.
We usually go to NBCC-SJ twice a week. We might even go on Sundays because we heard that is open then as well. We enjoy it, walls are pretty high there but of course this is not as enjoyable as outside climbing.

Jamie, we are disappointed to have missed your message! We thought that according the weather and rain nobody would climb on that day. But true, the sky cleared in the afternoon. And Meredith was particularly keen to go to the rally to support UNBSJ.
Otherwise, we are really eager to go next weekend or any other time. Our number in SJ is 672-7702 in case you want to set something up, or else we can just try again to meet up somewhere. Hope you had a good day of climbing!

Cheers, L & M
Meredith & Laurent

Postby Annie » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:02 pm

I would think you would want to get climbing helmets instead of speed skating ones... different ratings I think? Especially with rocks falling, rather than just impact of falling on ice in skating....
What level do you climb right now? Ryan and I usually head down to Welsford on Saturdays and top-rope some easier stuff if you ever want to join us... (at least I do the easier stuff.... :lol: )
Annie

Postby Meredith & Laurent » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi Annie!

Do not underestimate a speed skating fall! :wink: More seriously, it is true that we will have to invest in helmets pretty soon too.

Our level might be around 5.9/5.10. For instance, Laurent had once led a route whose the level was 5+ on the French scale. But since it changes from countries and even from sites, it is difficult to say. Another example is Meredith, she is able to climb hard routes when the weather is nice but is even not able to climb out of bed when it is foggy...

Otherwise, we would be very pleased to join you guys the next time you go to Welsford or anywhere around SJ area.

M & L
Meredith & Laurent

Postby Climbing4life » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:27 pm

jus to let u guys know i dont think the wall an NBCC is open on sundays yet until it gets a lil colder , any of the adamson`s on this fourm would be able to give u an exact answer.

Cheers
happy climbing.
"Death was Nature's way of telling you to slow down."
-- Terry Pratchett (Strata, 1981)
Climbing4life

Postby PeterA » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:48 pm

Climbing4life wrote:jus to let u guys know i dont think the wall an NBCC is open on sundays yet until it gets a lil colder , any of the adamson`s on this fourm would be able to give u an exact answer.

Cheers
happy climbing.

correct

Once the weather becomes colder and climbing outside is no longer an option, the gym will open sundays. I can't predict the temperatures just yet so no exact date at this time ;)

-PJ
PeterA

Postby Meredith & Laurent » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi there,

Glad to see that the forum is up again.

We heard that tomorrow (Sunday 21st) the weather is supposed to be sunny. Therefore, we would be interested in going outdoor climbing around SJ (and esp. Welsford). Is anyone going who might be willing to have us tag along?

Thanks,

M & L
Meredith & Laurent

Postby STeveA » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:27 pm

Check this posting in the morning. If the weather is really nice we will go climbing, otherwise I will be going offroading. I will post before 10am.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Meredith & Laurent » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:35 pm

Sounds great!

Hope to see you tomorrow then
Meredith & Laurent

Postby STeveA » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:22 am

Peter is interested in climbing and would be happy to show you around, however he does not have a vehicle. The phone number is 849-2870 if you are interested.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Return to New Brunswick