potential new crag... on CFB Gagetown

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

potential new crag... on CFB Gagetown

Postby david » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi everyone,

I spotted a potential new crag near Greenwich in the Grand Bay area, the mountain is called Break Neck Hill. It is close to Welsford, so it potentially is granite. The only problem is that it is on CFB Gagetown land. We tried to check it out and ran into an army gate on the road, so we turned back. The attached picture is the best view we had of it. So here is my question... does the deal with the base only apply to existing climbing areas? Any chance I could be allowed to go check it out from closer?

Thanks

David
Attachments
DSCN0760.jpg
DSCN0760.jpg (72.41 KiB) Viewed 714 times
david

Re: potential new crag... on CFB Gagetown

Postby Burley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:10 pm

David,

A friend of mine has a camp just down the road from this cliff. You can get through the gate... just think of a clever story.

There is a roadish type deal and trail that take you to the top. I did hike up to the top to check it out. My opinion is that the rock quality isn't worth the drive. However, I was pressed for time I did not hike around the base of the cliff.

The cliff has some height to it and looks even more impressive when seen from the road. There was some cutting done at the top of the cliff and old rope for railings. I would guess the military use this site for rapping.

I might be worthwhile having a close look, but from what I saw I wasn't interested.
Burley

Re: potential new crag... on CFB Gagetown

Postby Fred » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:18 pm

there is a place on base called Blue Mountain where some of the military folks go TR'ing. This might be the same place?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick