Parlee this weekend - Invitaion to crash at the camp!!!

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Parlee this weekend - Invitaion to crash at the camp!!!

Postby darrell » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:43 am

Hey folks,

If anyone is up for Parlee this weekend, and wants to crash at my camp in Sussex, on Sat night, let me know. I usually take the lower entrance into Parlee, as the lower road (off the Parlee Brook rd), is only 2 km from the camp. However, it is 2 very windy, steep kms on the unplowed section of the Parlee Brook rd. You can drive around to the camp, past Poley mountain, as well. It is 6 kms past Poley, staying to the right - up Walker Settlemnt rd (instead of cossing small bridge towards Adair's Wilderness Lodge). When you get to the end of the plowed rd (and see a sign / mailbox for "Landry's" log house - look back a couple hundred feet at the very rustic, small. old school house - with the skylights in the roof - that's the camp. It is hard to see when driving by, as there are a few big evergreens next to the road. Phone # there is 433-1600

It sleeps about 10-12 (crashed everywhere), has a wood stove, indoor toilet / plumbing, microwave, etc.

Only thing is I have to stop by on Wednesday, to see if I can get the water running - haven't used it in 6 months! . If not, I will just have to lug in some water from my neighbor Donnie (loves to have a drink by the way), and / or melt some snow to flush the toilet, etc!
darrell

Re: Parlee this weekend - Invitaion to crash at the camp!!!

Postby STeveA » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:09 pm

I can't make it this weekend, but I would definately be interested after Xmas if you offer again.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby darrell » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:14 pm

Hey Steve - Yes, we will definitley have to have a couple more weekend get-togethers after Xmas. I am living in Wolfville now, so I will be up to the camp as much as possible, in between a busy work travel schedule this winter.
darrell

Postby shannon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:42 pm

Darrell,

I'm trying to see if I can make it from PEI to go this weekend. If not this time, then Perhaps Dec 22nd? I certainly would like to go when another group is going. Wouldn't want to climb there alone. Man, I bet things are awesome there after a week's deep freeze.

shannon burt
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

Postby Fred » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:10 pm

Hey Darell. I'd like to tag along for the hike in on Sunday. I've been wanting to take the bottom way in for some time to see how the hike compares from the top. You heading out Sunday?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby shannon » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:47 pm

Are people thinking of climbing both days, or one or the other?

shannon
shannon

Postby darrell » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:18 pm

Hey Fred and Shannon,

I am planning to stay up Friday night and Saturday night, if I have someone to climb with the next day. My regular climbing partners are away this weekend, so hopefully a few people will be coming down.
if anyone feels like crashing, you are more than welcome! If you can't crash, I can meet you in the morning, at the end of the Parlee Brook Rd, which is just a couple of kms before Poley mountain ski hill. Just park at the end of the road, where they stop plowing. Do not block the road totally in case a 4x4, ATVs want t ogo through / over the snow bank. You can then walk / ski (or probably drive in my 4x4) the 2.5 kms in the Arnold Hollow rd, where we start walking up the brook, to the hidden valley / climbs. Be respectful of the owner of the stone "Abby" building, at the end of the road - park past it a bit, where they stop plowing. However, if anyone tells you you are not allowed to go in the Arnold Hollw rd, just tell them they can phone the police if they like (in a nice way)- as you KNOW it is a public rd!

There is no cell coverage when you get near Parlee brook rd, so if you want to call the camp (433-1600), do it before you get far from Sussex!

Let me know if anyone is coming up!!
darrell

Postby Fred » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:14 am

I'll probably be coming down Sunday morning. Have to get ready for a party on Saturday night.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby darrell » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:21 am

Fred- tha's right party!! Have fun Sat night! I am in Fredericton today, but am heading to Saint John, and then Sussex on Friday night. Won't be able to make the party.

Call my camp # on Sunday, as you are driving down, or before you leave - I can meet you at the "Abby", at the end of the Parlee Brook Rd. 433-1600 - let it ring a bunch of times!
darrell

Postby Fred » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:20 pm

sounds good

James from New Zealand may be coming along as well. I haven't gotten confirmation yet from others in Fredericton.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby shannon » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:05 am

darrell,

What time were you thinking of heading in from the Abby? That will help us figure out when to leave.

shannon
michael shannon Burt
East coast editor
trailpeak.com
shannon

Postby Fred » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:47 pm

I am planning on leaving Fredericton at 8am so be there by 9:30-10:00
Fred
Site Admin

Postby darrell » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:41 pm

Shannon - I am in Hampton right now - Friday night - and may stay here tonight and just meet you guys at the Abby in the morning. Then I will go to the camp, and stay Sat night. I am open as far as start time. Just let me know when to meet you, at the Abby, or at Tim Horton's in Sussex. You will need about 40 minutes to get from Moncton to Sussex, and another 20 minutes to get from Sussex, to the Abby / end of Parlee Brook rd.

I am only an hour away, so if you called me, as you are passing through Moncton, we should arrive about the same time.

Let me know roughly when you are thinking of arriving. You can also call me tonight, on my cell! 506-444-1373

Fred - Call me (at the camp 433-1600) as you leave, or get near Sussex, and I'll meet you at the Abby on Sunday! If you decide not to come, please give me a shout as well!!
darrell

Postby jeremy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:11 am

Darrell,
We will have to get together again this winter for some climbing on the coast north of the valley. I wonder if anything is forming at halls harbor yet? Sandrine and I would also love to check out your camp after xmas. We come up to hampton every other weekend.
jeremy how
443-9103
233-6794
jeremy

Postby darrell » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:59 pm

Hey Jeremy,

Good to hear from you. I would definitely like to get over to Hall's Harbour a few times this winter. I have to work / travel on a few Sundays in Jan / Feb, so I will have some Saturdays free. I am living with my girlfriend, Steph, in Wolfville now, so I am only a half hour from Hall's Harbour.
I will have other "camp" days in Sussex, as well. I just have to see what weekends I am free.

You can usually get me on my cell (506) 444-1373, or at Steph's (902) 542-3708
email Darrell.Steele@Aliant.ca

Keep in touch.
darrell

Return to New Brunswick