Hayes Falls IN

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Hayes Falls IN

Postby new to NB » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:16 pm

I was in to Hays Falls today, to have a look and seams good 1st time there, hard to see it as WI3 as stated in Joes web site but good. A few mixes lines we played with, however you can hear a bit of water running under neath so we backed a way from lead and TR'ed the day fun and a easy hike on with 2 feet of snow .........

I am thinking no one eles has been in a while!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
new to NB

Re: Hayes Falls IN

Postby martha » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:45 pm

you can always hear water running in there, though after the recent rains I'm sure it is running lots. Be aware of the open ice that is usually near the center-right of the main falls... lots of soakers have been had there, and it likes to hide under the snow...

eh Stef?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Matt Peck » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:02 am

Yay. (sarcasm)
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby new to NB » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:27 am

Matt Peck wrote:Yay. (sarcasm)

Wow sound like your a welcoming guy!!!! I hope you are not beening a rude as that post comes off.

SO what I went to hays falls to have a look never been and new here.
new to NB

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:52 am

Relax buddy. Nothing personal. chill out.
Matt Peck

Postby new to NB » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:16 am

I hope I did not come to be to rude as well , I ment no harm by it,

I do see the joke in it all.....

take care and happy climbing....

John
new to NB

Postby Adam » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Matt Peck wrote:Relax buddy. Nothing personal. chill out.

you're such an a$$hole matt!
Adam

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:02 pm

It's what I do. Mitch has been aweful quiet of late, and Im trying to fill in the power vaccuum. I didn't think it was such a big deal till everyone started gawking at how I slammed the new guy. Like I said, no offense meant. Hayes falls just blows.
As for new guy; Wait a week or two and maybe try out Eagle Rock in Welsford. Burley always says how sweet it is down there. Roadside pretty much, and I think it's pretty moderate. Cochrane lane is wicked too, but a bit farther to walk and a lot harder.
Cheers,
Matthew.
Matt Peck

Postby new to NB » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:59 pm

Matt, you are right Hays falls does blow, but I had to have a look and I went in with a guy who has never climbed befor, as for welsford I went there last year a couple of times with my sister was out from Banff, as well as minsters face. looking to get in to Parlee this weekend as I tried to find it on friday but i think we walk way to far in like 6 KM from the end of Lission RD.

Also no harm taken every one likes a bit of good ol' banter.....

I also now remember meeting you to pick up the foot fangs you sold me after all my gear was stolen in quebec a year or so back ....
new to NB

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Ha HA! Now you can put a face to the jerk, eh?
ok, Bombproof Parlee directions, coming atcha.
From the stopsign where the lisson Rd. makes a sharp right at the top of a hill, proceed straight along the (usually unploughed) road, past a turnoff with a steel gate. Keep on truckin. Cross one big field, down a dip in the road that is wooded on both sides (stay straight and avoid the small left turn) Go up the hill across a blueberry field. Cross the treeline (clearcut on one side, forrested on the other) and continue to your first left turn (should be a big oblong pile of slag on the left). This left turn cuts across the middle of the cut. Take it.
Take your first right and proceed into the trees. You will come to a junction, go left. This will take you out of the trees and into a partially overgrown cut with a few weird scary looking big trees sticking up above the rest. Continue about 3/4 of a km until you begin to slope down a hill and the road tightens to barely 1 track, wooded on both sides. Stop when the woods show signs of being cut on your left. There should be flagging tape and tracks leading off downhill. Follow this about 300m to the ice. Watch that last slope, it's a doozy if you fall.
Clear as mud eh?
Matthew.
Matt Peck

Postby Shawn B » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:32 am

Matt Peck Post subject: Hayes Falls Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:08 pm

Replies: 0
Views: 228

Hey All, was into Hayes Falls today, The main face is in and fairly fat, but the rock face on the right isn't iced over yet. The hidden pillar in the woods is extremly thin still.

M@

Hmmmm.....anyone post a sarcastic remark to your post of only a few short years ago??? How soon we forget what was once a challenge and exciting when we first started.

New to NB...YOU weren't rude at all. I'm sure you are super excited to meet Matt. :roll: :roll:
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby new to NB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks matt, for the directions after reading thouse I think we might have been almost there but the guys I went with from halifax said it seamed not right, any way a day out hikking with a pack in winter is a good day to me ( I am weired, I thinks it's from growing up in Banff) I am planing to go out this weekend, If all goes well and I can find some one who wants to head out.

it is faster to go in through the parlee brook RD ?
new to NB

Postby Matt Peck » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Wooo, zing.
In my defence Shawn, I just said I was in there, not that it was sweet. I was into Hayes as recently as last year. It's a good place to go for an easy day out, especially with people new to ice. In my opinion it still sucks, however.
NewtoNB: check out the ice conditions continued thread for various opinions on the parlee approaches.
Matt Peck

Postby new to NB » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:35 pm

MATT!!!!!! :P nor did I ever say ir was sweet just I was there , the pody was up HAY FALLS IN ? i said yes it was IN!!!!!

LOL we all have to start some where, I rmember the time I made fun of some ond for the 1st accent 10,500FT .............

cant eait to climb toghter and :lol:
new to NB

Return to New Brunswick