Nackawic Area Boulders?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Nackawic Area Boulders?

Postby gwa » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Hey,
I was driving through the Nackawic area on the TransCanada a little while ago and noticed granite bedrock...Then I could see boulders of all sizes through the trees.

Has anyone scoped out that area for boulders?

I checked a geological atlas when I got back to Halifax and it confirmed an area of granite bedrock near nackawic.

But maybe I was still dreaming when I drove by that morning.

G
Graham
gwa

Re: Nackawic Area Boulders?

Postby david » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 pm

Funny you posted that... I was out there checking it out last week-end. I drove in the woods and there are a lot of small boulders. It's all beautiful coarse granite with smooth edges... It's the same situation on the other side of the river. I think it's just a matter of finding the big ones. I'll likely go again next week-end, and will keep you posted.
david

Postby Adam » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:01 am

they are definitely out there. i used to plant trees out there, and while today i have no idea where exactly the cut i was planting in was, there were definitely big ass boulders there.

however you'd prob need a 4x4 to get to some of those cuts. and i doubt they would be plowing into most the cuts so you might have issues getting there.
Adam

Postby gwa » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:27 pm

That's awesome!
Let me know if you find anything good. I'll be back in NB at the beginning of May. Maybe we can gather up a search party before the leaves block out the visibility in the spring.

Graham
Graham
gwa

Postby Adam » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:16 pm

these boulders would likely be part of the same trail of erratics that encompasses the mcadam boulders, which, if you haven't been to are well worth it. plenty of FAs left there, just might have to do lots of cleaning and exploration.
Adam

Postby martha » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:14 pm

aren't these the boulders that Mark, Jeff, Jill and Josh went to? they said they were okay, but not really worth the drive.... but I guess if you are a boulderer.....?
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Adam » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:22 am

dunno if they're the same ones, but there are still lines to do there, and there are more boulders in the woods to be cleaned and i'm sure there are more to be found. if you're willing to drive to cape spencer, then mcadam is well worth it. there's even a highball crack that i would only consider doing with gear and a rope.
Adam

Postby martha » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:32 pm

trad_reborn wrote: if you're willing to drive to cape spencer, then mcadam is well worth it.

Only in Bug season when I'm desperate to climb anything. Not saying the climbing there is bad, cause it is worth an afternoon or two... I really am not a fan of bouldering in the first place.

In anycase, Mark and Jill had said that most of those boulders were really tiny, so perhaps not the same place that you and GWA are talking about.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby david » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:37 pm

I went back in the area this afternoon and I ended up on road 630 (that goes from Meductic/Canterbury to St Croix/McAdam). Lots of nice granite boulders with inviting lines. Although most are small (8-10 feet), a few were a decent 15-20 feet high. I scoped out a clear cut and there were dozens of them, but they are kind of far apart. I think there might be thousands of them scattered/hidden in the woods. I also found a few spots in the McAdam area, with the same kind of deal (medium size at low density). I'll likely go back a few times before the summer.

pics:
a clear cut and a nice boulder (snowshoe is there as a scale)
Attachments
DSCN0874.jpg
DSCN0874.jpg (227.18 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
DSCN0880.jpg
DSCN0880.jpg (203.23 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
david

Postby Fred » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:27 pm

David:

do you have access to a GPS?

It would be nice to start a thread on here to start tracking these boulders. Derick and Jon found several boulders between McAdam and Nackawick. We might be able to start mapping everyones' exploration missions. This would help future explorations as well.

Nice find.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby david » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:26 pm

Fred,
I don't have a gps, but it's on my list of stuff to buy after next payday. It would be a great idea to start mapping and coordinate the search.
david

Postby Fred » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:57 pm

There were some very nice boulders at Pokiok some time ago but they were blasted to make way for the new highway. We've ventured off into the hillside at the same area but never found anything worth climbing. Lots of large boulders but nothing big enough to climb on or concentrated enough. They are out there. The challenge is finding them. Documenting them is certainly a good idea at this point because it seems they are being found regularly.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:34 pm

we never have done it, but talked about renting a plane for a couple of hours and get a few fly bys of the McAdam-Pokiok areas in the late fall when the leaves are off the trees but the snow still hasn't come down. That would be the easy way to do it and likely would only cost a hundred bucks per person or something. I imagine you can put 3 people with the piolet in one of those little planes. lots of eyes looking for boulders.

martha

Postby Fred » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:45 pm

?????

renting a plane if you aren't a fan of bouldering sounds pretty extreme
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:04 am

yeah, Perhaps you forget we talked about it before we were married and had kids and would do any sort of climbing for lack of anything else to do.

I wouldn't do it now, but was making the suggestion as someone might want to consider it.

martha

Postby cory » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:42 am

martha wrote:with the piolet in one of those little planes

You've either been married to frenchie too long, or spending too much time on the ice. In hinglish we spell d' word P-I-L-O-T.

That would be a fun ride though. A helicopter would be better...too bad Marc (the Can Forces Heli Instructor, and climber) is no longer at Gage. He'd probably do the searching for us when "training" and/or fly for free if we rented a rotor.

Are any of you Gagetown climbers also pilots?
cory

Postby martha » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:49 am

cory wrote:
martha wrote:with the piolet in one of those little planes

You've either been married to frenchie too long, or spending too much time on the ice. In hinglish we spell d' word P-I-L-O-T.

My excuse is the Placenta. It drains too much from my brain. Gonna be another pretty darn smart offspring though. ;)

martha

Return to New Brunswick