Ex-climber just moved to Moncton

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Ex-climber just moved to Moncton

Postby julienr78 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Hey guys,

I was happy to hear that there is a new bouldering gym opened up in Moncton since we just moved here. My wife and I (older 20s) lived in Ottawa and used to climb indoor 2-3 times a week. Unfortunately we haven't climbed for about 2 years, but are looking to get back into it.

I assume the Moncton scene is a pretty close-knit group of individuals, is the bouldering gym pretty crowded on the weekends?

We also would love to get more experienced in outdoor climbing (we did have a few outings with experienced people at Rumney in NH and Orford in PQ). What is the attitude of NB climbers towards introducing relative newbies (no pun intended) to the local climbing areas and showing them the ropes (that one WAS intended)?

Thanks in advance and you'll hopefully see us around a bit during the next few seasons,

J.R.
julienr78

Re: Ex-climber just moved to Moncton

Postby martha » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:45 pm

we love having belayers around....

hehe. There are usually a number of people climbing in Welsford every weekend from now until November. during the summer months we often camp out and climb both days etc. Just post on here and you'll surely find others to climb with.

The crew in Moncton are a good bunch, some of them with lots of experience. they'll surely teach you some anchors and whatnot at the gym if you buy them a beer or two. :)

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Pierre » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:04 pm

julienr78 wrote:I assume the Moncton scene is a pretty close-knit group of individuals, is the bouldering gym pretty crowded on the weekends?

I would say we're more of loose-knit group..

Friday night the gym gets busy around 7:00 PM and on Saturdays it starts getting busy around 2:00 PM.

Pierre
Pierre

Postby Stacey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:07 pm

Hey JR,

Great to have you in Moncton - we're a good crowd...We've been ice-climbing all winter...
and now are anxious to get out on rock.

Like Cara says - - post here - - I know that Greg and I climb every weekend usually between the Welsford crags and Hampton...so post away - you'll usually always find someone climbing :-)

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Return to New Brunswick