Cochrane Lane Trip Report - April 16th

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Cochrane Lane Trip Report - April 16th

Postby *Chris* » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:51 am

Well I went to Cochrane Lane, Welsford, N.B., Canada yesterday after work for some relaxing spring climbing. I got picked up by Rosie at my house at about 4:05 and shortly thereafter, we picked up Burley from his office. The drive to Welsford took about 40 minutes from Fredericton, which is typical when there is not inclement weather to deal with. After a quick stop at the Irving, we were off for some climbing.

The approach trail was moderately difficult since I was carrying both a rope and rack. Towards the bottom there was horse poop which had to be dodged and overall the trail had many snowy sections. The current snow conditions are tricky because if you weight your feet too much you break through the crust and sink through to the bottom. We signed in at the box and headed towards Minky wall; our destination. We arrived at the scrambling section and were delighted to see that the ice was completely melted away. Some brave (and probably really handsome) men must have replaced the fixed ropes through this area over the winter because the ones present looked solid and trustworthy. This is good news because otherwise, we considered leading this section on traditional rock climbing gear, since I’m told that it is probably 5.1 or 5.2. We finally got to the crag at around 5:20 and sat down to have a rest and enjoy the scenery. I wore my new North Face GoreTex XCR sneakers for the trail but would probably make some changes if I did it again… so to others, here’s the footwear I’d recommend for the Minky approach for this weekend:

1)Comfortable shoes for the sections that are clear of snow and poop

2)Quality hiking boots for the sections that are rocky and/or poopy

3)Snow shoes for the sections with crusty snow so you don’t fall through like I did

4)Comfortable trad shoes unless you’re confident FREE SOLOING 5.1 or 5.2

Now thoroughly warmed-up, Burley began to traditionally lead climb "A Warm & Salty Evening"; which goes at a YDS grade of 5.9! Since I wasn’t needed to belay, I scouted the area for potential routes. I wore my helmet since it is spring and the risk of rock fall is probably extreme! I wonder if we could organize a Welsford climbing committee to assess rock fall hazard and close down areas when deemed too risky for safe recreation? I’d certainly feel better if I knew somebody had assessed these hazards and made the information available. Perhaps they could post it on the internet?

Anyway, I found a nice looking crack system called “Salty Peppers” and started to psych myself up for the lead. Just then my good friend Chris H. arrived with Marcel and agreed to give me a belay. I roped up, racked up, and looked in my pack for climbing shoes. I had brought two pairs with me: La Sportiva Miura’s and La Sportiva Trad Master’s. One is for advanced face climbing routes and the other for long traditional climbs. I decided to use the former but was uneasy about the decision. Does anybody on this forum have an opinion about the shoes I should have worn? I should have sought experienced input first but oh well.

I started the lead but found no gear at all until about 8 feet up! It was a #4 Black Diamond Stopper which I extended with a long sling to avoid rope drag further up. I climbed past it to the right side of the boulder which is perched on the ledge of the King Arthur’s Playground area. Making a few mantle moves I gained the top of this boulder and the main crack. At this point I felt very exposed since I only had 1 piece of gear in far, far below me. I placed a yellow Metolious TCU, and a #8 Stopper in close succession before heading off. Making a few juggy moves I gained a horizontal ledge with a sweet incut jug at the back just before the crux. I made sure that I had a good nest of gear in before I committed to the next moves. That included my smallest BD hex in the horizontal, a #6 stopper in the crack, and a yellow WC Zero cam higher up. At this point I rested and got the entire beta I needed from Burley; who was abseiling to the left of me after completing his route. On his advice, I crossed to an undercling with my right hand, moved my feet high in the crack, and busted out with my left into the insecure, sloppy, diagonal crack. I had to try this move twice as I chickened out the first time and down-climbed back to the big jug. The second time was a charm though and I succeeded. For the remainder of the route I placed my #0.3, #0.4, and #1 BD Camelot C4’s and I slung a pinched off boulder just before the anchor tree. Before finishing I noticed that Chris had become bored with belaying me and had handed the work off to Burley. I hope this was done safely! Afterwards, Burley seconded me and cleaned my gear, commenting that all was bomber except for a large nut placed down lower as a redundancy piece to keep me off the big ledge. As he finished climbing the sun set and we abseiled down to our packs. We had a pleasant hike back to the car light by the moon and our trusty headlamps.

All in all, a great expedition to Minky wall!

p.s. thanks for reading… a true storey… even if written in a little tongue-in-cheek! :roll:
*Chris*

Re: Cochrane Lane Trip Report - April 16th

Postby STeveA » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:16 am

I would suggest going lighter by leaving all the shoes except the snowshoes at the car. This will make the trail easier and leave you fresh for the climb. If you have the newer style snowshoes they should jam well in the crack, however if you have the older style wooden ones this probably would not work.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:36 pm

you forgot to tell us what you bought for snacks/supper at the Irving
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby *Chris* » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:30 pm

STeveA wrote:I would suggest going lighter by leaving all the shoes except the snowshoes at the car. This will make the trail easier and leave you fresh for the climb. If you have the newer style snowshoes they should jam well in the crack, however if you have the older style wooden ones this probably would not work.

Great point Steve. Clearly, you're a wise man.
Fred wrote:you forgot to tell us what you bought for snacks/supper at the Irving

Well Fred, I just was about to mention it, but before I did I stopped, and thought about it first. I guess I felt that I didn't want to clog up your forum with useless information about my trip that nobody would really care about. That's why I didn't post that I bought some Baked Lay's regular chips along with a bottle of V8 Juice. I'm glad I stopped to consider my post before hitting the "Submit" button.
*Chris*

Postby mathieu » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:38 pm

*Chris* wrote:"A Warm & Salty Evening"; which goes at a YDS grade of 5.9!

How was the pro on that route, G, PG, R, X? Also does a 50m rope get you to the top of this?

*Chris* wrote:Anyway, I found a nice looking crack system called “Salty Peppers” and started to psych myself up for the lead.

Do you have a grade and location of this route, is it left or right of "Salty Evening"? Perhaps if you would have some UTM coordinates, I could locate the climb.

Thanks for the TR, i'm looking forward of hitting Cochrine Lane on my trip in late May.
Another question to the locals, is May a good season to hit up "The Lane"? Will there be snow left? Should I bring my snowshoes?

Thanks

Mathieu from the west.
mathieu

Postby mathieu » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Oh and another question, is there a rap station to get down from the 5.1 approach section?

You failed to mention how you got back down on your way out? I heard rumours that there was a Gondola proposed to be build from the Amphitheatre, perhaps you walked off from the top of the climb to the boarding station to get back down to the car. Just wondering...

Thanks again

Mathieu

:mrgreen:
mathieu

Postby martha » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:25 pm

mathieu wrote:Oh and another question, is there a rap station to get down from the 5.1 approach section?

You failed to mention how you got back down on your way out? I heard rumours that there was a Gondola proposed to be build from the Amphitheatre, perhaps you walked off from the top of the climb to the boarding station to get back down to the car. Just wondering...

Thanks again

Mathieu

:mrgreen:

Mat,

The Gondola proposal is stuck in Red Tape, however, the Timmy's 'Climb through' on the L-shape belay ledge should be open by the time you get here.

They are currently sorting out the logistics of cooking their donuts in the 10" outback oven that was graciously supplied by MEC, the main sponsor.

We all look forward to blue berry season and the abundance of 'berry explosion' baking that will be happening from all the precious little fruits growing on L-shape. Tim's is currently accepting resumes for the position of 'berry collectors'. A trad rack and valid 'climbers permit' is required.

See you in May!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:28 pm

wicked impression, Chris.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Return to New Brunswick