Pergrine Falcon Closure - Cochrane Lane

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Pergrine Falcon Closure - Cochrane Lane

Postby john » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:48 pm

Please Sticky this Thread

Hi,

As of today April 24, 2008 a closure of a portion of the Cochrane Lane Cliffs will be in effect, due to Falcon nesting activities.

At this point the Falcons are exhibiting behavior indicative of nesting activity. In order to not disturb the birds a closure of the following areas will be in effect:

Closed:

Dawn Wall Lower and Upper
L-Shape
Joe's Garage - left of Telefunken (Telefunken is open and everything to the right is open)

Note: Simpson wall is open

Please note that this is a minimal area of closure due to the height of the nesting and geometry of the cliff. For climbers this is a very reasonable closure and has much less affect then the nest location last year. The nesting activities are being monitored by Joe Kennedy of GNB who has asked me to pass on the above information.

As last year, please respect the closure, the property we climb on is DND land and it is a privilege for us to be able to climb there.

I will update this thread as necessary and will be sure to advise everyone here as soon as the nesting season is complete.

Thank you for your co-operation.

John Bowles
President UNB Rock and Ice Climbing Club
john

Re: Pergrine Falcon Closure - Cochrane Lane

Postby *Chris* » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:33 am

John,
Once again, thanks for your efforts dealing with DNR and DND. I'm sure everyone can respect what is a very reasonable closure this year. Cheers!
*Chris*

Postby john » Thu May 08, 2008 10:46 am

Please sticky the following.

UPDATE:

I have been advised of the following and asked to pass it onto the climbing community:

The Peregrines have now nested. There is a requirement, at this time to close off additional sections of the cliff until mid July, when the chicks have fledged. This is still far less area than closed previously and I am happy to see protocol allowing climbing to take place as long as possible and on as much cliff as possible, until verified nesting has occurred. I appreciate the understanding of DND and Joe Kennedy of GNB.

Until notified otherwise two additional portions of Joe's and Simpsons wall area closed as follows:

Closed:

Upper/Lower Dawn Wall, L-Shape, as previously
Simpson and all of Joes Garage, newly closed

Open:

Pyramid, Exfoliated and Upper Tier are still open along with everything left of pyramid.

NOTE:
Again, please respect the closure a very good relationship has been established with the authorities on this matter and they are very accommodating, regarding access in general to the land surrounding Cochrane Lane.

Also, I have been asked that if we wish to keep upper tier open please use the lower trial to approach it, via the old campsite not along the base of L-Shape and keep voices reasonable to avoid disturbance.

By the time bug season has begun and is over the closure should be over. I will post as soon as I receive word it is.

John Bowles
President UNB Rock and Ice
john

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:31 pm

The following message is from Joe kennedy.

CFB Gagetown and NB DNR has opened the L-Shape area to climbers again. The falcons were unsuccessful this year. They laid 4 eggs on a very exposed ledge and the cold, wet spring likely killed the eggs. I confirmed the nest was abandoned on 8 July - the eggs had not been tended for at least 3 weeks. Hopefully the birds will relocate to the Cheekbone site next year where the ledge is far more protected from wind and rains. Thanks to all for your patience in respecting the closure. CFB Gagetown is keen on the protection of the nesting falcons and is serious in enforcing the closure. I am proud the NB climbing community has shown respectability and has a strong social concience. Thanks, Joe.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick