Killer Horses??????

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Killer Horses??????

Postby Climbing4life » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:14 am

A friend of mine was out at cochrane lane the other day and was "attacked"/"chased" by the horses , has this occurer before?? and can anyone thing of any reason for this ?? babies maybe , or a pregnant female??

aswell they did have a dog with them , i was just wondering if this has happened before?
"Death was Nature's way of telling you to slow down."
-- Terry Pratchett (Strata, 1981)
Climbing4life

Re: Killer Horses??????

Postby *Chris* » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:55 am

Those horses are certainly curious. Most people have been approached and circled but I personally, have never been chased. When walking through the field with my dog I always have it on a very short leash and place myself between her and any approaching animals. I find it tends to calm both the dog and the horses; and sometimes diffuses the tension. That said, I will also walk into the forest edge with her if needed and I wouldn't think it wise to walk between a foal and the rest of the herd.

Disclaimer: Despite expert opinion to the contrary, I have wondered for some time if horses are secretly carnivorous. Just because nobody has ever witnessed a horse eating a person... doesn't mean that it hasn't happened. It just means nobody has ever lived to talk about it.
*Chris*

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:59 am

Where they actually aggressive (trampling ect.) or just following?

I had a wild horse follow me for a while when out Mt.Biking once. I think it was more curious than anything. At first I thought it was chasing me too.

Normally docile animals can be very defensive if they have babies. The dog wouldn't help matters.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby STeveA » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:04 pm

We have had problems in the fall with horses and cows charging us, but that was after they had consumed some of the magic mushrooms that grow in the field.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Burley » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:28 pm

Here's the deal: Horses eat hay, grass, oats, kids and wankers. I'm not sure if they would attack a woman that is "with child", but we should assume yes. A think a vegan could also be in trouble!

My lady is horse crazy and this is what she tells me: Try not to confront the straight on. Stay away from hind legs. Don’t spook them. Don’t put your limbs other body parts around their mouths… they could easily bite your arm clean off if they wanted to. When they approach stand sideways and stomp your feet hard… put those fairy shoes to use. If all of that fails cry, run, or climb a tree.

Bottom-line: Man up Nancy.
Burley

Postby Burley » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:31 pm

Oh yeah... the dog on leash thing is as much for the dog as the other animals.

If that little bastard friend of man pisses off a horse it'll resemble a red pancake by the time the horse is satisfied.

Leash it up.
Burley

Postby Stacey » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:42 pm

ha-ha
Killer horses...I needed a good laugh :-)

We've had them come almost tentside in the woods while we were camping...
The three from last year have become very comfortable around us...perhaps it's the
newbies this year that are a little spooked by the overwhelming number of humanoids...

regardless..they are an amazing graceful and beautiful animal, and for the most part very
docile.

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby *Chris* » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Good point Burley... horses especially like to eat vegans!
*Chris*

Postby Fred » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:59 pm

wet spot in pants....

Last year we camped out in the woods at the back of the field. In the middle of the night we hear the horse next to our tent sniffing around. Cara woke up and spooked the horse who bolted and trampled our MEC child carrier on the way by. Still works fine but suffered from a mildly bent frame.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:03 pm

At night the horses seem to love coming into the wooded camping area. We've had our tents rubbed up against many times. Ya, and the child carrier doesn't sit straight anymore with the bent frame. Good thing kiddo wasn't in it when it got trampled...

Matt Peck was also accosted while hanging in a hammock one night sleeping between two trees... the curious horses were nudging him with their noses.

The horses are curious, but due to their size, of course use caution. I think they are pretty harmless though. There are a couple of studs there that get pretty testy in rutting season, but the are usually kept in the back field or in the barn away from all of the other horses and animals.

Another reason to keep your dog on a leash is if the farmer sees a dog not on one, he will shoot it. That is the rule, and has been the rule for years and I think it is a good one. An unleashed dog could scare all the horses, sheep goats etc and cause a lot of havock and headache for Austin (farmer). So play safe, and chain your canine.

The horses, sheep and goats have been known to follow climbers all the way up the hill. I think Stef had a sheep follow him past the sign in box last year..... But he was also calling her 'fluffy' and wearing rubber boots so who knows what that was all about. :lol: :lol:
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Burley » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:29 pm

On a serious note:

If a horse gets caught or tangled in something like leg caught in rope, leg in a fence, leg caught or tangled in anything really... it will freak until it is either free or dead... and it will thrash with zero regard for anything that is around it. Same applies if you spook it… jets until it is no longer worried. Think of it like a massive dog with its chain caught around its leg... bad news...

So I guess.... just don't leave fencing or rope traps around camp.
Burley

Postby jeremy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:46 pm

there is a big difference between "attacked" and "chased" But use caution, there like an 800 pound three year old kid.
jeremy

Postby Matt Peck » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:35 pm

incidentally, when I threw my bivy bag over the fence to camp out on saturday night, the whole herd came over and wouldn't leave my bivy sack alone for over 2 hours. They were just curious, but it made it really hard to sleep.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Climbing4life » Thu May 01, 2008 3:47 pm

my buddies were saying that the horse chased them from top of the feild to the road , they had kicked at them and whatnot , but i think they did actually spook them , cause they are not used to them.

i thought it was a little funny too when they said they "attacked" them , i think they were "curious" as many of you said , and when they came toward them , my friends paniced , therefore spooking them.

thanks for all the feedback

sean braydon (C4L)
"Death was Nature's way of telling you to slow down."
-- Terry Pratchett (Strata, 1981)
Climbing4life

Postby thicks » Mon May 05, 2008 6:20 pm

martha wrote:Matt Peck was also accosted while hanging in a hammock one night sleeping between two trees... the curious horses were nudging him with their noses.

I didnt know you were a vegan Peck.-you dont make friends with salad.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me. -- Emo Philips
thicks

Postby Matt Peck » Tue May 13, 2008 10:05 pm

er?
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Fred » Sun May 25, 2008 6:42 pm

Burley wrote:When they approach stand sideways and stomp your feet hard… put those fairy shoes to use.

tell Rosie thx for the tip. The horses were guarding the gate when we left today and one quick stomp sent them off. hehe
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick