strata factor direct

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Re: strata factor direct

Postby Fred » Mon May 12, 2008 3:58 pm

STeveA wrote:As another thought, the only time a first ascentionist should have exclusive claim on a climb is when they place pro from the ground up on lead. If the pro is placed on top rope then I think the climbing community as a whole has an equal say in the placement of the pro.

what British climbing textbook is that out of??? hehe
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Mon May 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Fred wrote:
STeveA wrote:As another thought, the only time a first ascentionist should have exclusive claim on a climb is when they place pro from the ground up on lead. If the pro is placed on top rope then I think the climbing community as a whole has an equal say in the placement of the pro.

what British climbing textbook is that out of??? hehe
It is the rule of thumb at some sport crags. If a route was put up in an attempt to be safe, i.e. rap bolted, etc, if the community feels it is unsafe (not to be confused with heady), or has badly placed bolts, it is fair game to be fixed.

Its a bit more blurry when you start getting into mixed gear routes.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby STeveA » Tue May 13, 2008 7:06 am

When I lived in Ottawa there was one climber who would clean and top rope a route to the point that he had it wired. He would then lead it, and because he had the first ascent it could not be changed. The routes were all dangerously runout and never saw a second lead. They would be popular top ropes because the climbs were superb. However, since the first ascentionist had led them in the bold style (after many, many top ropes) they remained as was. This is an extreme example and most of the community felt it was wrong, but it is hard to go against tradition. If I had stayed in Ottawa much longer than I did, I would have added bolts to the routes since I do not believe someone who has top roped a route over 30 times (in some cases) is really the right person to decide the protection of the route. The first onsight lead would definately have a better claim.

Fred, the British climbing would not have any bolts and the climbs would all be E11s. I do not have the balls for that which is why I am glad to climb in New Brunswick.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Previous

Return to New Brunswick