Climbing tonight (wednesday)?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Climbing tonight (wednesday)?

Postby ian » Wed May 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Is anyone heading to Welsford tonight to climb and wouldn't mind another person. I'm looking to head up for a couple of hours after 5:00 pm.

cheers
ian

Re: Climbing tonight (wednesday)?

Postby Burley » Wed May 28, 2008 1:59 pm

Ian,

A few of us are going to a spot called Sunnyside. We will be there between 6:15 and 6:30. I'm not making any promises on how much climbing you'll get in... especially if you don't lead or have a rope. If you don't know where it is you'll have some trouble finding it. You are welcome to join us unless you have been told numerous times that you are a wanker and/or are super annoying... in which case you should hold off and climb with others. Sorry, but no I'm not joking.

Directions: About 5km or so past the Welsford Irving going toward Fredericton you'll come to a road on your right and there is a cell phone tower in the same area. Park there and cross the road directly... the trail is directly across the road in the tree line.

Burley
Burley

Postby ian » Wed May 28, 2008 2:06 pm

i haven't been called wanker lately. i have my own rack and rope and can lead. i may swing by to try and find you guys. i appreciate the offer.
ian

Postby Stacey » Wed May 28, 2008 2:22 pm

Burley wrote:You are welcome to join us unless you have been told numerous times that you are a wanker and/or are super annoying... in which case you should hold off and climb with others. Sorry, but no I'm not joking.

Burley

OMG I am trying to contain my LOL ... Ian was at Border this weekend while we were there...great guy! ;-) Not a wanker from what I could tell...hehe

I'm jealous y'all are climbing tonight....

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Burley » Wed May 28, 2008 2:23 pm

Perfect. Should be able to get lots of climbing in since we are currently a group of 5.. you would make 6... nice and even.

We are all open to taking people that are new to the sport or new to the area out. Sometimes it ends up being a very very painful day or evening.... so I just try to be honest.

Hopefully we'll see you there. This area is 90% sport... so rope and draws will keep you entertained for hours.

If you're dying for trad there are two short 5.8's and a 5.4.

Those directions will get you to the trail... once you're on it you should be fine... 20 minute hike.
Burley

Postby Burley » Wed May 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Stace,

I really put that in there for Norfolk's benefit... I like to make him laugh. But who really has time for people that drive them insane? Life's too short.

... maybe that's why I have no friends... am I the wanker?

I'm glad you enjoyed it ;)
Burley

Postby *Chris* » Thu May 29, 2008 7:51 am

Yep... I laughed, mission accomplished Burley.

Ian, I wouldn't let Erick give you too hard of a time. I remember not long ago an eager new climber named Burley seeking some folks to head out with. A few seasoned climbers took him in like the stray alley cat that he was and moulded him into the tiger that he is today. Not unlike Dr. Frankenstien, we created a monster that cannot be controlled. FrankenBurley! He now climbs with the strength of 100 Marlboro Men and the cunning of a young Fidel Castro. So remember Ian, even heros like Burley were once nothing more than common wankers!
*Chris*

Postby Adam » Thu May 29, 2008 10:41 am

got on Heartbreaker last night, fun route. tricky sequence through the first roof, then just a race to beat the pump on the second section...

did a new link up of All Hail (all four bolts) then move right onto the last two bolts of Drizzle...

new route being:

All Hizzle 5.11a 6 bolts..... FFA moi et Erick Burley
Adam

Postby Fred » Thu May 29, 2008 10:59 am

what do you think for a grade for Heartbreaker?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Thu May 29, 2008 11:12 am

i'd probably give it 11a for the onsight. for the top part i know my reach helped as i went from the incut right hand to the good gaston way left (just below the big jutting jug). being forced to use that crappy, tiny, sharp, nothing-of-a-two-finger-half-pad-crimp would probably put it up a letter or two...

oh, and there's a HUGE block on the ledge halfway up that needs to be trundled... it's a definite hazard.
Adam

Postby Fred » Thu May 29, 2008 11:45 am

10-4

That's what I was thinking.

Jon and I saw the big block but there were too many people around to toss it. Same happened last time we were out.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Burley » Thu May 29, 2008 12:29 pm

Heart Breaker = wicked
All Hizzle link-up = wicked

Get on them... both 11- ish
Burley

Postby Burley » Thu May 29, 2008 12:32 pm

BTW (yes, I'm learning the new interweb lingo)... Ian is a strong dude and it was a pleasure to have him join us last night.
Burley

Postby Stacey » Thu May 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Burley wrote:BTW (yes, I'm learning the new interweb lingo)... Ian is a strong dude and it was a pleasure to have him join us last night.

Good to see my judgement wasn't off :-)

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Holly Reid » Thu May 29, 2008 1:53 pm

*Chris* wrote:I remember not long ago an eager new climber named Burley seeking some folks to head out with. A few seasoned climbers took him in like the stray alley cat that he was and moulded him into the tiger that he is today. Not unlike Dr. Frankenstien, we created a monster that cannot be controlled. FrankenBurley! He now climbs with the strength of 100 Marlboro Men and the cunning of a young Fidel Castro.

hahahaha... FrankenBurley... I like it Chris! :P
Holly Reid

Postby Murph » Thu May 29, 2008 11:12 pm

Fred wrote:what do you think for a grade for Heartbreaker?

Definitely harder than stairway to heaven… what do you think Scott?....lol
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Return to New Brunswick