timber at the cave

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

timber at the cave

Postby cory » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:32 pm

On saturday I took a good look at the tree that fell recently between the overhang variaitons and ejaculator.

It looks like a number of relatively small boulders (bar fridge sizes) fell from somewhere above and hammered the
tree with enough force to break it's trunk. I couldn't see any missing cliff or a whole lot of freshly exposed soil/gravel.
The bark was shreaded and missing at a few places along the trunk, and there are two rows of 'fresh' looking rock
strewn down the boulderfield.

It seems as though this evergreen has lodged itself quite nicely among the steep pile of rocks that make up this part of the
boulderfield, and willl help keep everything in place. :D

There are a number of branches that should/could be cut from the trunk so it can be walked over/around, but the tree
should be left in place
. Some of the fresh rock still needs to be arranged (I did a bit of it) in a more stable manner.
Any help next time you're in that area will be appreciated.

Until then, be cautious of rockfall and mind your step when you are to the right of Gullums' Cave.

Cheers
Cory
cory

Postby Fred » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:50 pm

I'd say clean that tree out of there. I don't think it's contributing much to slope stability and plus it looks terrible in what is otherwise a nice area to hang out at.

my 2 cents
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:08 am

It also blocks decent belay stances for all of the over hang variations. now that I've seen it, I dont think its position has any great benefit on erosion remediation.

I agree with fred. take it out of there and use the pieces for other places.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

tree

Postby john » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:57 am

I say we burn it in place, that way we dont need a saw and we don't disturb the dirt.

Seroiously though, I think we should remove it and reorient some of the portions across the slope for stabilization, similar to rumney. In its current position I don't think it has much benefit.
john

Postby cory » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:25 am

Blocking belays? It gives the belayer something to anchor to and lean against.
Rearrange the boulders in a more stable configuration? That hasn't worked with previous attempts.
Not holding anything in place? take a look at the bottom of the slope/top of the tree. Branches have wedged themselves between the rocks very nicely.
Furthermore removing the tree, even in pieces, will disrupt the boulders and the whole slope could let go. It's a pretty thin layer of small rounded pieces of rock that is very steeply stacked.
My 2 cents, restated.
Cheers!
Cory
cory

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:42 am

Lets carve a totem and erect it. :shock:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: tree

Postby Andrew » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:02 pm

I'm sure you're not serious, but I would say burning is outta the question.

john wrote:I say we burn it in place, that way we dont need a saw and we don't disturb the dirt.

Seroiously though, I think we should remove it and reorient some of the portions across the slope for stabilization, similar to rumney. In its current position I don't think it has much benefit.
Andrew

Return to New Brunswick