Food

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Food

Postby rockingrodeo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:57 am

Hi,

Does anyone know the name of the diner near Cochrane Lane, the one with the convenience store? Super small, near the highway. And I believe there is a gas station attached to it. It's been such a long time since I've been there. I think it goes something like Dog diner or some "dog" thing-a-ma-jig. I'm using the info for an article. Thanks
rockingrodeo

Re: Food

Postby Shawn B » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:30 am

Article??? On what? For what? Who is this mysterious rockingrodeo?

It has obviously been some time since you've been to Welsford. The place you are referring to is no longer there. It was officially Burpee's Esso but climbers referred to it as the "upper dog". We all miss it. Always ran into other climbers either grabbing breakfeast, using the bathroom or picking up some apres climb beverages. It burnt down... what 5 or 6 years ago now...maybe longer. Was partially rebuilt and then the owners sold the property. The actual frame of the building is now the rec center attached to the firehall.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby cory » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:29 pm

actually it was the "Yupper Dog" not sure the meaning behind the Y or the rest of the name, but this is how it appeared on a few menu items. (Yupper dog breakfast, I think. and maybe just a Yupper (hot)dog)
cory

Postby martha » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:08 pm

It burned down on Christmas eve of 2003. nearly 5 years! Wow, hard to believe it has been that long. I really miss that place. Perfect for when we were (always) too lazy to cook breakfast after camping and perfect for when we were (always) thirsty for some pop after climbing. Sigh. The LC at the Irving just isn't the same. :(
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby rockingrodeo » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:20 am

Yup, Yupper Dog. Thanks for the information everyone. And It is a shame that place is closed.

I hope Welsford is still the great little unknown climbing spot that John Shipwell and I used to crank at.
rockingrodeo

Postby Shawn B » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:32 am

Yes it is...and that it should remain. Article??? I know no one would ever publish an article without written permission from the landowner (CFB Gagetown) and those whom have graciously been endowed access rights to the property (UNB Rock & Ice). We wouldn't want anything to affect our current situation.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby STeveA » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:53 pm

If you aren't aware of the Esso burning down, then you may not be aware of the controlled access to the cliff and the Peregrin Falcon closure each year. Make sure you contact CFB Gagetown and obtain permission before writing any articles. Unfortunately, access to some of the cliffs is not as easy as it used to be, and it is something that is continually being worked on to maintain.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby rockingrodeo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:38 am

Yes, I remember there has always been a delicate access issue with Welsford. I'm only mentioning it as a place I learned to climb and not giving any other details except for the old Yupper Dog and it was a great place. Basically Welsford will be a footnote in places that are great to visit. No details about location or routes or anything else.

Thanks for the concern.
rockingrodeo

Postby Andrew » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:10 pm

The real reason Steve and Sean don't want articles posted about our best kept secret (Cocrhane Lane Cliffs) is because back in the late 70's, that's where they hid the cash from a secret little heist. *LOL* J/K

Andrew
Andrew

Return to New Brunswick