You took my webbing.

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

You took my webbing.

Postby Fred » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:15 pm

Who took the webbing off the tree at top of "Stairway to Heaven" at Sunnyside and why?

I get really anoid when someone removes webbing without replacing it. It's one thing to cut off some of the old tat and put up a new piece but to just clean the whole thing off including rings..... why?
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: You took my webbing.

Postby *Chris* » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:52 am

That sucks :? Next time I'm there I'll put up a new rap station.
*Chris*

Postby martha » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:50 pm

YArrrrrr...

do people not realize that stuff costs money and is there for a reason? sheesh. Not to mention that it was all brand new last year!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Adam » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:30 pm

there used to be some black static rope up there too that Jones and i used for various reasons while developing the cliff... i haven't seen it since last year, so i think someone took that home as well.
Adam

Postby Murph » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:32 pm

I was at Sunnyside last weekend and climbed Stairway to find that the webbing & rap rings were missing. No joke, once on the ground I had to rig a pulley system plus body weight to retrieve the rope... Rope drag city...
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby Fred » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:48 pm

brand new this year

but even if it was 10 years old you shouldn't remove it unless you replace it

it's not your call to remove it
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:50 pm

Didn't someone remove all the webbing in Parlee too not long ago? And at the top of Waterfall Wall? What gives? I'm sure it's someone we know who ice climbs.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Shawn B » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:53 am

Yes Fred someone did take the rap rings off the big tree in parlee. I actually think they were old biners that I had wrenched closed. There they left the old webbing that they had cut to take the leaver biners. Nice of them to take what they wanted and leave behind their garbage. At least they could have taken the garbage too. And you say the ones on top of WW are gone too? Those were wrenched biners for sure. Guess I won't bother leaving any more if they are just going to get stolen. Are the ones on W&S still there?
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby *Chris* » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:01 am

Shawn B wrote:Yes Fred someone did take the rap rings off the big tree in parlee. I actually think they were old biners that I had wrenched closed. There they left the old webbing that they had cut to take the leaver biners. Nice of them to take what they wanted and leave behind their garbage. At least they could have taken the garbage too. And you say the ones on top of WW are gone too? Those were wrenched biners for sure. Guess I won't bother leaving any more if they are just going to get stolen. Are the ones on W&S still there?

Climbed there a few weeks ago and as of then, they were still around.
*Chris*

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 am

Perhaps all the removable hardware for rap stations could be painted or otherwise marked so it can be identified if it pops up somewhere else? In a small community if much disappeared it should get obvious pretty quick who has it.

I'll never understand why people would want to steal from the community just to add junky leaver biners to their rack. Is there anyway non climbers could access the anchors and take the gear?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:25 pm

But were not even talking about someone scoring some old biners. The rap station on Stairways was just two flimsey aluminum rolled rings with webbing for rapping only. I think somone out there thinks they are protecting people or trees by removing old rap stations. I duno... It's the only way I can explain it.

To whoever is reading this. If you are the one removing webbing stations. DON'T!!!!!

I remembered two years ago there were some nice lower off rap stations on Waterfall Wall positioned for the ice lines and I'm pretty sure they are gone now. I duno about W&S.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby *Chris* » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:38 pm

Fred wrote:I think somone out there thinks they are protecting people or trees by removing old rap stations. I duno... It's the only way I can explain it.

That would be misguided (at least relating to the trees). I've noticed that pine in particular is getting killed off where people are rapping off, and pulling ropes directly over the bark. The webbing probably saves the tree. Have a look at the top of About a Rope. The first pine is now dead and the current rap pine is on its way out. I'd bet the pine at the top of Stairway would be dead within 5 years without tat and rings.
*Chris*

Postby Fred » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:23 pm

my thought exactly Chris

But somehow someone thinks they are improving a situation. Surely they aren't in it for the "gear".
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Peabody » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:30 am

Wow, what's the deal with webbing at Welsford? There's a huge lack of it to start with, and now people are taking it? Also, why are people around there so paranoid about webbing? That stuff is way strong and local climbers are afraid to rap off like 4 good strands. Easy on the redundancy! I've seen people question webbing I placed only a few hours earlier...
Peabody

Postby Fred » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:08 pm

I've met people from Ontario while climbing in Welsford who thought it was very odd that we use trees. They thought that everything should be bolted to save the trees. Is this the way in Ontario? Perhaps they are applying the Ontario way here in NB and trying to save a tree?
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:43 am

Fred wrote:I've met people from Ontario while climbing in Welsford who thought it was very odd that we use trees. They thought that everything should be bolted to save the trees. Is this the way in Ontario? Perhaps they are applying the Ontario way here in NB and trying to save a tree?

That certainly wasn't us. Then again we aren't from Ont. :lol:

Here they (land managers) are all worried about damaging the silver cedars. Anchoring from any tree is prohibited at some S.Ontario cliffs.

I doubt that is what is going on.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:49 am

chossmonkey wrote:
Fred wrote:I've met people from Ontario while climbing in Welsford who thought it was very odd that we use trees. They thought that everything should be bolted to save the trees. Is this the way in Ontario? Perhaps they are applying the Ontario way here in NB and trying to save a tree?

That certainly wasn't us. Then again we aren't from Ont. :lol:

Here they (land managers) are all worried about damaging the silver cedars. Anchoring from any tree is prohibited at some S.Ontario cliffs.

I doubt that is what is going on.

Its mostly the cliffs closest to Toronto, though they have added a couple of bolts next to trees to encourage people not to sling them.

When climbing up at places like Lion's head I have no idea what you'd do for most climbs if you didn't sling trees.
granite_grrl

Return to New Brunswick