Official Welsford Situation

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Official Welsford Situation

Postby john » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:56 am

By now most of you are aware of the forthcoming access issues with the cochrane lane cliffs. The issue is of immediate priority and future access is in jepordy. I have spoken to Base Gagetown on several occasions over the last 2 days to work out the next step in the process of ensuring future access. At this point the situation does not appear simple to solve. I am awaiting an official letter from the Base stating thier current stance, hence our position. Dependant on this letters contents, various avenues may be explored to open the lines of communication between the military and the community. The UNB Rock and Ice Club has been using the area with no problems since approximately 1976 and hopes to be able to continue with this privledge in the future. I will keep everyone posted on the contents of the letter and the UNB Rock and Ice Clubs officail postion, actions and outcomes and be open to anyones input from the community as a whole. I ask for some patience on the matter until the officail letter arrives. In the meantime I gaurentee that the matter is progressing and will not be ignored. My contact info is below.

Thank you

John Bowles
President UNB Rock and Ice Club
506-457-4112 (h)
506-476-5648 (c)
506-452-6128 (w)
j5j47@unb.ca
john

Postby Shawn B » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:19 pm

Thank you John for keeping people posted. Ideally it would have been kept under wraps and fairly quiet but too many people now know about it due to postings on here. But now that it is started, please keep us up to date on your progress. You seem to be handling things very well and very professional and going through the proper military channels. Let people know if you need help.
Shawn B

Postby Mountain_Marc » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:12 pm

This sucks! I was going to drive up for the last weekend of April from Ottawa to climb. Oh well, I guess i'll have to hit up New Hampshire or the Adirondacks.
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:12 am

no updates yet? :(

Postby martha » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:51 pm

The 'official statement' from Gagetown has not yet arrived, however it was sent on Thursday. There is nothing new until we receive this.
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:47 pm

Any News?

Mitt
The Mitt

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:16 pm

Still no news, eh?

Just warnings to "show unity" and not be negative! Very useful. I think it's all just a scam by Big Brother to keep internet forum discussions clean.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby martha » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:42 pm

There is still no news Mitch. John will update as soon as there is.

Please be patient. This sucks for everyone.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby mitchleblanc » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:57 pm

Well, almost everyone. Not me!
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

the situation. . .

Postby Lisa-the-NP » Sun May 01, 2005 3:06 pm

Eh ben, y'en a t'il des nouvelles???
the difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination - tommy lesorda
Lisa-the-NP

Postby martha » Sun May 01, 2005 8:43 pm

Nothing yet Lisa. John will be updating us all early in the week. These things take time I guess.

martha

Postby Guest » Thu May 05, 2005 10:38 am

we're waiting patiently, but it has been two weeks since we were told an official word was sent out...

what is happening?

Postby lukelovesclimbin » Sat May 07, 2005 8:47 pm

I know i have never climbed there but it would be nice to even get some word, just even where the club stands, and if anything is moving.
Climb on :mrgreen:
lukelovesclimbin

Postby dcentral » Sun May 08, 2005 1:03 am

Dude they'll probably tell you once they find out.
dcentral

Postby Guest » Mon May 09, 2005 7:59 am

as much as i believe they'll tell us when they know... it has been almost three weeks now without a mention of the situation. if we are STILL waiting for the 'official word' from CFB gagetown then perhaps we should ask them to send another copy.

john, can you just tell us that everything will be alright so we can get on with our lives!? ;) but seriously, i think we're due for some sort of news. even if we're in some sort of negotiation stage... if this blackout of information continues people might start assuming that nothing it happening...

Postby Mountain_Marc » Mon May 09, 2005 8:11 am

You're dealing with the military. You should expect a long delay!
"You can't practice to be miserable. You're either good at it or you aren't."

"If a wife speaks in the woods, and her husband is not there to hear her...is she still wrong?"
Mountain_Marc

Postby martha » Mon May 09, 2005 9:53 am

I have spoken to John and he will be posting something soon. He is currently away from his computer.

Thanks for your patience.

Cara

martha

Return to New Brunswick