Quiddy River

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Quiddy River

Postby GKelly » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:50 pm

Does anyone know if Quiddy falls hardens up in the winter? I Hiked down the river from the falls to Martin Head about 14 years ago (summer). If my memory serves me correctly there were at least 6 falls. It would make for a heck of a big day to link all of these starting from the coast. Does anyone know if it's been done or if it even freezes solid enough?
GKelly

Re: Quiddy River

Postby Burley » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:06 am

To answer your questions:

Yes, it eventually freezes up in the winter. 6-7 drops from my memory.

I've paddled some of the river and hiked it twice. Nothing worth climbing in my opinion. Not much worth paddling either. A couple of fun drops but not worth the effort. I was hoping it had more potential, but it let us down.

It was a good days hike down the river to Martin Head and another day hiking out through the woods trail (if you can call it that). If you do it, try to drive down to Martin Head and start there... someone would have to drop you off (snowmobile/4 wheeler).

Highest vert falls is 30 feet - Fun in a boat, but not worth the driving for a short climb. There are some tight spots that won't freeze well until late winter when it is super cold. I always found that winter creek scouting didn't go so well until February when things froze up good. Not much of a gorge for ice either.

Goose Creek might be a better option to check out. Paddled that a few years back with the exception of one ugly drop that required too much luck and a better safety setup than what we had. There were two drops on that creek that were over 30 feet and slide that ran for maybe 50 feet. However, there was a gorge section that might see some ice. This one ends about 1km up the bay (river left of Quiddy) from Martin Head.

Both are epic to get into if the roads are soft.

There are a number of creeks in the Fundy Park area that would be better than Quiddy for ice.

If you're going to go that far you should just hit Little Salmon. Never been there, but people love it.

You should also consider checking out the falls on Parks Brook behind the Welsford Irving. There is a nice falls there that was too high for me to man-up and run... I'm guessing it is probably close to 50 feet vert in the spring.

For the effort, you might as well drive to NH and do some of the easy multipitch they have to offer - Willy's slide and Shoe String Gully.
Burley

Postby Shawn B » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:12 am

Burley wrote:Highest vert falls is 30 feet - Fun in a boat

:shock: :shock:
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Shawn B » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:14 am

Burley wrote:You should also consider checking out the falls on Parks Brook behind the Welsford Irving. There is a nice falls there that was too high for me to man-up and run... I'm guessing it is probably close to 50 feet vert in the spring.

wuss :wink: :D
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Shawn B » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:27 am

Burley wrote:If you're going to go that far you should just hit Little Salmon. Never been there, but people love it.

For the effort, you might as well drive to NH and do some of the easy multipitch they have to offer - Willy's slide and Shoe String Gully.

Little Salmon definitely worth the effort. As good as directions are in Joes guide still best to go with someone who knows the area. Different climbs are easier accessed by various approach options. With high water I expect it will take a good cold stretch for the river to freeze up well enough for easy walking up the whole river. Routes here are better than most in NH with a few exceptions imo. The scenery and serenity in there in winter is spectacular. It is VERY remote though. A serious accident in there will result in recovery, not rescue.
frenchimmersion.JPG
frenchimmersion.JPG (211.94 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Burley » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:39 am

Shawn, you have to take me there!
Burley

Postby Stacey » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:25 am

WOW

sounds and looks like an incredible spot!

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby GKelly » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks for all the info!!!
GKelly

Return to New Brunswick