Dyke Route ice been climbed in winter?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Dyke Route ice been climbed in winter?

Postby Adam » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Norfolk and I made it up to do some aid at Joe's and saw what to my non-ice-climber eyes looked like a sweet line. The warm weather likely isn't being kind to the ice but if it chills down again it should see an ascent.

Anyone done this line?

Beauty day up there, why was no one else out?! ><
Adam

Re: Dyke Route ice been climbed in winter?

Postby Charley » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:35 am

Dave and I were in to Waterfall Wall last Wednesday and took a slight detour over to Joe's to see if we could find it, and it was pretty thin then too. If we'd been a couple of weeks earlier it might have gone.
-Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou-
Charley

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:12 am

Is it just thin or delaminated and rotten?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Charley » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:47 pm

The top two-thirds still visible was thin, the bottom third I don't think was there, but Dave had a closer look than I did. They got full sun during the day, so probably pretty rotten in spots if it was still in. The bottom half of another thin line (not sure what route, if it was one) to the right of it fell in the 20 minutes we were looking at the Dyke.

Waterfall Wall was like climbing crusty snow. Large sections of lines left and right of us let go while we were there.
-Wo xiang mei er, mei xin, bian shi tou-
Charley

Postby Adam » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Pretty much the entire climb was formed, but after the rain and sun the past couple days I would guess it is not in great climbing shape.

But then again I'm not an ice climber so maybe someone should go try it if we get some more colder nights...
Adam

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:27 pm

trad_reborn wrote:Pretty much the entire climb was formed, but after the rain and sun the past couple days I would guess it is not in great climbing shape.

But then again I'm not an ice climber so maybe someone should go try it if we get some more colder nights...

With a couple cold days and not much sun thin stuff can come back really quick. The sun is really strong now though. Stuff can form and fall down pretty quick.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Adam » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:30 pm

yesterday and today wouldn't have been kinda to it, but it is an obvious line that should see a send given good conditions...

so, any of ya know of this being climbed before?
Adam

Postby Adam » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:05 pm

what would be more impressive though would be the dyke route ice getting climbed in summer eh?
Adam

Postby *Chris* » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:31 pm

During the run of a few hours on saturday I watched quite a lot of ice fall off this line so I think it's on its way out. I would be a nice mixed line... three distinct 10m columns connected by a few mixed moves between each. So... has it been done in the past?
*Chris*

Postby Peabody » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:19 am

It's in Joe's guide, it has been climbed. Can't remember the name of who did it. Looks nice.
Peabody

Postby Joe » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:50 am

No, as far as I know, it hasn't been lead. Steve and Chuck top-roped it a long time ago. I attempted to lead it twice, but backed off due to poor/delaminated ice and scary rock gear. I've been keeping my eye on it for a while, but haven't seen it form nice enough for a lead. It's an open project.
Joe

Postby Adam » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 am

well i think it might have been leadable (if a tad thin/bold) lately before the warm spell by the looks of it, but who knows. truly a nice looking line.
Adam

Postby martha » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Man, the route sucks in the summer..... i can only imagine how much it must suck with scary/thin/delaminated ice on it!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Adam » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:21 pm

haven't led it myself b/c it is so dirty but the ice line looks really nice for someone who likes that sort of nastiness...
Adam

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:56 pm

martha wrote:Man, the route sucks in the summer..... i can only imagine how much it must suck with scary/thin/delaminated ice on it!

I bet it is extra tasty in the winter. Sucky summer routes are often awesome winter routes. If you are into that sort of thing.
chossmonkey

Postby Shawn B » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:30 pm

Might be tasty if you like extra spicy...5 star thai food. Any time I've seen it...including one attempt with Joe...it was definitely x rated and a technical gr5. The ice doesn't seem to bond well on that climb...I'm guessing due to its aspect getting morning sun and the nice black granite on which it forms. I remember some marginal rock gear in the first 15 feet but nothing after that.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Fred » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:12 pm

That route is almost a chimney. I wouldn't be surprised if the pillar just doesn't reach the back of the "wall".
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Return to New Brunswick