Nesting Peregrines

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

Nesting Peregrines

Postby Joe » Mon May 04, 2009 8:17 am

The peregrines are nesting again on top of Astroboy. So the closure this year will be the same as last year. All route between the Pyrimid Wall and Joes Garage will be closed until the chicks have fledged (flew the coop) which is usually around the first of August. To be specific, all routes to the right of the Spiderman/Mr. Clean area are closed, all the way over to the far right of Joes Garage to "Perfect".

I believe climbing can continue in the very popular Sticky Fingers/Snakepeel/Way of Life area as long as climbers are subdued and quiet. Excessive disturbance in this area will result in its closure.

To reiterate, closed areas include:
-Upper and Lower Dawn Wall
-Simpsons Wall
-L-Shape
-Joes Garage left of Sticky Fingers

CFB Gagetown will be informed of this closure today (they've already been asking). Last summer Range Control had foot patrols enforcing the closure, and I assume this summer will be the same. Remember, it's their land, and they are keen on protecting a national species-at-risk. Please respect this closure. Any confrontations with CFB Gagetown may result in more significant closures, which no one wants to see. I will be monitoring the development of the chicks, and will inform the community as soon as the chicks have left the nest site, thus opening the area to climbing.

Thanks for your understanding, Joe Kennedy, DNR.
Joe

Re: Nesting Peregrines

Postby Stacey » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:38 pm

how are the birdies...have they flown the coop yet (so to speak)...

:-)

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:16 am

The Welsford falcons have been successful in raising and fledging 2 chicks this summer. The chicks are now often seen flying around the cliffs. I had recommended that CFB Gagetown remove access restrictions around the L-Shape area for 1 August. I am aware that Range Control received direction from Gagetown Biology staff to open the area, however Range Control has not yet confirmed this to me. I can only assume that the restriction have been lifted, so climbers may now climb in the L-Shape/Joes Garage area. Thanks to the climbing community for respecting the falcon nesting site and its restrictions this summer. It appears this will be on-going for years to come. Joe Kennedy, DNR.
Joe

Postby martha » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:05 pm

Thank you Joe for your continued communication with the climbing community and CFB Gagetown. I'm sure I can speak for the entire community when I say that we/I greatly appreciate you staying on top of things.

...and now some trundling....
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to New Brunswick